cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
What equipment should I get (camera/lens/flash etc) and any tips on technique or setup? I pm'd the photographer on another forum but have yet to hear back.

a2eju9a5.jpg

3e7epa6u.jpg

4udu7e4y.jpg

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Reading up someone suggested on another site the following:

Canon XTI (or is t3i a better choice?)

w/ (3 options) - 100mm IS sounds like the best.

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Autofocus Lens < its nice because it can be used as an everyday lens to just not macro under 300

Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens < Nice lens but harder to use for Vacation and what not under 550

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens < very nice lens with the IS and [FONT=&quot]L[/FONT] serious glass around 900

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
An Iphone5 can do it. As far as glass goes the L is an amazing macro lens but you pay for it. I'm currently saving to add it to my L collection. The EF 100 is a very nice lens also.
These are from my Iphone5. No post processing.

e8a4ura5.jpg

vy8era5e.jpg

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I am looking at a Canon T3i now and there is the option to buy the [FONT=&quot]Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens is it worth it for the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens? I know that the IS is a nice feature as is the glass but since the corals 'move' would it really be worth double the price?[/FONT]

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Zoas dont move that much, with a shutter speed of 100-125 you should be fine. Get a tripod and maybe at some light if needed so you can use a smaller aperature above 2.8. The 100mm IS, EF is actually pretty sharp, although low light might give you an issue. Try not raising ur iso above 200. Maybe a speed light might help.

like this?

Attachments

• IMG_9567.jpg
    IMG_9567.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
BWT - Shooting in raw also helps with tweeking the photo so its more accurate to what you see including correcting the white balance. Although you can do that before you start taking pics. But eiter way its just another way to alter the image just dont over do it to where its nothing like what you see in person.

The above photo was shot with a canon 50D (for sale) with a 100mm macro IS lens. Setting were 1/125, F5.7 ISO1250. But for a sharper image i prove would have stayed under 400.

Last edited:

LowezAkar24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.6%
35   2   0
LowezAkar24

What equipment should I get (camera/lens/flash etc) and any tips on technique or setup? I pm'd the photographer on another forum but have yet to hear back.

Canon or Nikon is up to you. You can pick up a Nikon D3100 or a Canon T2i. The close up pics are shot with Macro lens. (meaning they can be taken close up where a camera phone or regular lens requires a greater distance). Buy the camera body though and avoid the kit lenses, they are trash. Get a 60mm Macro lens or perhaps a 100mm macro lens f/1.4, f/1.8 or f/2.8. You will be very happy with the results.

FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You'd be surprised at how well alot of lower end cameras can perform. Those photos are nice but to be honest most of them are out of focus. So I doubt a macro lens was used. Ive used canon and nikon right now im all about my sony nexx7 with the kit lens. Key to good photos are good lighting and camera settings. Dont worry so much about post processing software and expensive equipment... unless thats ur thing. But not needed to take good photos. Master camera settings. Then invest in equiptment as needed.

LowezAkar24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.6%
35   2   0
LowezAkar24

The pic dherrera83 posted above is a very good shot but yes I would agree a lot of the pics are out of focus in this thread. A decent DSLR will do a good job. There are many reasons a pic will be out of focus and 99% of the reasons is the guy or girl that is taking the picture.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The pics I posted were shot like I said w an IPhone. Kinda hard to comment on out of focus on them lol.
One thing to consider is the size of your hands. I personally think the T line from Canon are great performers for the money but I cannot hold one for more than a few minutes without my hand feeling real uncomfortable. I cannot get use to the smaller body size.
And JVP makes a good point. You can take very good images without breaking the bank. You will find though that the more you get involved in the hobby the more some of the higher priced bodies and their features become attractive and useful.
All the images in my gallery were shot with anything from my Trusty 40D, my 5D classic and my 60D. As well as a separate IPhone gallery.

Www.myeyes.smugmug.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: