Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I've been shooting with my very old Nikon D80 with a 80-200mm 2.8 lens etc. for a while and i want to buy a new/used camera. I've been asked to shoot at some upcoming events and would like to upgrade soon. Canon/Nikon full frame, crop i want to hear your thoughts. I've checked out some youtube video as well. Your thoughts will be well appreciated, thanks...

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I have the canon 6D and love it. Only issue i have is that its has less focus points that canon 5D mark3, but for a skilled photographer its easy to find a way around it with no issues. Other than that i love the camera, light weight, full frame and comes with wifi and GPS. Although i never use the GPS but the wifi is great works perfect with my android and mac. Makes it easy to tranfer photos. Camera works great under high ISO.

FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
As stated above. It all depends on the needs and budget. You already have nikon glass so switching to canon will be more costly in the long run. Also are you looking for professional gear or prosumer stuff? The amount of cameras & features on the market is very wide and so you need to narrow down what youll be shooting, desired features, and budget. Then from there you begin to naorrow it down further to available products.

mike99420

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I shoot mostly macro and canon have a 1-5x lens that i like.

I work for a large Long Island camera shop (will not mention, this isnt a sales pitch.) My feeling is worry less about the camera model/brand and more on the lenses. I will say that the D80 is due for an upgrade but the entry level cameras of today (besides build quality) blow away the higher end cameras of 5 years ago. If you go with Canon or Nikon they both have excellent lenses to choose from. The only benefit right now for Canon is that they have a non stabilized option for their 100mm macro where Nikon only has VR in that range. While the stabilization is a plus, it adds money which some people would like to avoid. I am confused with what you have as you said you have a D80 and then mentioned a 1-5x canon lens...

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I work for a large Long Island camera shop (will not mention, this isnt a sales pitch.) My feeling is worry less about the camera model/brand and more on the lenses. I will say that the D80 is due for an upgrade but the entry level cameras of today (besides build quality) blow away the higher end cameras of 5 years ago. If you go with Canon or Nikon they both have excellent lenses to choose from. The only benefit right now for Canon is that they have a non stabilized option for their 100mm macro where Nikon only has VR in that range. While the stabilization is a plus, it adds money which some people would like to avoid. I am confused with what you have as you said you have a D80 and then mentioned a 1-5x canon lens...
Thanks for the comeback you're right about the entry level cameras and more on lenses. I've taken some nice pics with my old camera. Most will say budget and needs. Yeah, taken all that into consideration i've been shooting a few years now. For me it's a hobby not a business. So i'm looking for one camera that can do everything. Speed, good pic quality, featers and durably. D800 is slow poor in low light.
Will continue later..
I'm not saying the D800 is not a good camera but one day i might want to catch fast action and fall short with it...

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
D80 Tamron 90mm...
dragonfly_4.bmp

csc_0970.jpg

mike99420

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
To be honest that tamron lens is really sharp, while tamron lenses can be hit or miss, that one is good. I personally have shot canon and nikon and right now I have a Nikon d600, when I decided to go full frame I decided that buying a 24-70 2.8 was more important than the camera. Between the 6d and d600 I felt the Nikon fit my needs better. Can't go wrong either way!

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
In the end of all things it will just be what you end up being accustomed to, and what you need out of the camera. If you have been shooting with Nikon for years, the controls will be very familiar when you start going to newer cameras.
What do you feel you will end up shooting? Weddings? Night shots where there is 0 available light? Sports?

If you are not going to be shooting sports then 9+ FPS will not be needed, so you can scratch a D3X, D4(s), 1Dx
If you are looking at shooting weddings then speed is not what you need as you will take your time framing those important shots and trying to make everyone comfortable as you pose them. D600(610), D800, D700, 5DmkII, 6D, etc will work with this.
If you plan on shooting concerts where you will always end up finding yourself losing light quickly then you want to find yourself with higher range ISO, but it would put you back into cameras that are made for low light and fast frame shooting.
In the end, if you already have Nikon lenses, jumping ship to get all new equipment might be counter productive, but it'll be your decision in the end.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I have a 6d and it does great under low light. But i also have nice glass with it. Mostly like using my 50mm 1.2 but if you already have nice glass than moving over to canon might be more costly.

In the end its what feels best for you.

Hope everything works out!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: