A

Anonymous

Can someone explain to me just what the difference is between a regular lens and a dedicated macro lens? Macros are jumbo expensive, but I'm getting to the point in my photography where I could make good use of one. I just upgraded our camera systems to a pair of Canon 1d-MkII-N bodies, and my closeup filters just don't cut the mustard anymore..

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting a macro lens, as well as one of the new Cannon digital SLR bodies. I asked a camera shop manager and he stated that some of the lenses that work with the film SLR Cannons (which I have) will work with the digital bodies, except that they skew a little at a certain focal length. I am in the same boat with you, in that I am not sure what makes the macro lenses cost so much, unless its the way that the glass is formed for the lens, or the amount of lenses to get that close range. Perhaps someone can enlighten us more on this subject?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a LOT the past couple days! :D

Talked with my sales rep for Canon, and he cleared many things up. I ended up purchasing Canon's 100mm macro lens. It's fantastic! It can be used for 'normal' shooting as well as macro work, but what makes a macro a macro is the ability to focus at very close distances (like under 3-4").

:D

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Macros can go 1:1 (sell, at least by definition) whereas normal lenses need attachments to get in that close. Macros are also generally much sharper lenses since the manufacturer knows their intended purpose of capturing small details. My 60MM Nikon macro is my sharpest, most contrasty lens by far.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len, just how close can you get with that 60mm macro? The fiancee has the D70, so it's only a matter of time before I get it. :)

Peace,

Chip

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can focus down to about 5", but if you want very enlarged close-ups, try the 105 or 200 instead.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":dyt4fp1m said:
You can focus down to about 5", but if you want very enlarged close-ups, try the 105 or 200 instead.

I can get closer than that with my Coolpix 995. How close do the other lenses get? I want to get really good huge closeups.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple non-fish macros from the new 100mm macro lens. :drool: i am quite the happy (and poor) photographer. :D

PD8S0163.jpg

PD8S0181.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'm finding that it gives really interesting depth of field for portrait work as well.

One of the best Molly-photos I've ever taken:

PD8S0062.JPG

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: