IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0027-Edit.jpg

1. What makes it an effective image?
a. It’s a sharp photo with great color contrast. The subject is very prominent in the photo and draws the eye into it.

2. How was the photo/subject lit?
a. The subject is evenly lit, and the background appears to be equally lit, indicating lighting from above or equally from both sides. According to the EXIF data, no flash was used, so in this case aquarium lighting must have been used.

3. Does the image capture the personality or essence of the subject?
a. The image is somewhat static, but the facial features are prominent, contributing to the personality of the subject.

4. Is there any question about what the main subject of the photo is?
a. No.

5. Is there anything that the Photographer could have done technically to make this a better photo?
a. I would have liked to see either a little more or a little less depth of field. If the tail of the fish faded a little more into the background, I believe it would have made the photo more dynamic. Of course, the photo is taken pretty much side on, so that may not have been very feasible.

DSC_5889.jpg

1. What makes it an effective image?
a. The simplicity and detail of the photo make it very visually appealing. The close-up also gives you a perspective you don’t really see with the naked eye.

2. How was the photo/subject lit?
a. According to the EXIF data, the flash was fired. It appears off-camera flash may have been used, illuminating the coral primarily from the left side and very possibly the front as well.

3. Does the image capture the personality or essence of the subject?
a. It’s a simple composition, but the color and detail do a good job capturing the essence of the photo.

4. Is there any question about what the main subject of the photo is?
a. No.

5. Is there anything that the Photographer could have done technically to make this a better photo?
a. I can’t think of anything I would have done differently.

molokai.html

1. Why did this image fail
a. This could be a beautiful landscape, but unfortunately, the color and detail are washed out by the very harsh sunlight.

2. Is it clear what the actual subject of the image is?
a. The main focus of the photo appears to be the closest mountain. I would like to have seen a little more of the mountain, though.

3. How is the exposure? Is the color balance for the image accurate?
a. The exposure of the nearest mountain is good, but the rest of the photo is overexposed. A graduated neutral density filter may have helped, but it appears the photo was just taken with the sun at the wrong angle.
b. The colors seem to be pretty accurate, though a bit desaturated.

4. How is the focus and depth-of-field in the image? Are all the necessary parts of the subject in focus? Are there image elements that are visually confusing or distracting because there is too much in focus?
a. Given this is a landscape shot, the large depth of field works.
b. The focus is fine
c. Neither the land or sea is particularly dominant in this photo. I think it would have worked better if there was a little less or more of one.

5. What could the phtographer have done to make this a better photo?
a. If the photo were taken either earlier or later in the day, it would have greatly reduced the glare and given much better overall contrast to the photo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: