Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Pictures taken with my new microscope ;) I collected these copepods locally. If you look closely you'll see what appears to be black dots. They were swimming around too :)

Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Bring 'em by Tobin. It didn't take me that long :). This microscope can magnify by 1000X. The pics above were at the lowest setting (40X I think).

I don't know where I find the time :) I need to find really small copepods to feed my filefish fry so it looks like my best option is to locally collect. I needed something to see copepods smaller than rotifers.

wschang: You can pretty much collect pods anywhere. You just need the right equipment. Search Local collecting on the board and you will find lot's of info :wink1:

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures taken with my new microscope ;) I collected these copepods locally. If you look closely you'll see what appears to be black dots. They were swimming around too :)

Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Hi Domboski

are these pods related to the micro invertebrates that live on zostera marina? Some more about it here

Zostera beds are important for sediment deposition, substrate stabilization, as substrate for epiphytic algae and micro-invertebrates

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hi Domboski

are these pods related to the micro invertebrates that live on zostera marina? Some more about it here

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

These are calanoid copepods. There was an amazing amount of them floating in the water current :) There are no Zostera where I collected other than what drifted to shore. I plan on collecting a lot of plankton though soon including what I can find in Zostera :)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are calanoid copepods. There was an amazing amount of them floating in the water current :) There are no Zostera where I collected other than what drifted to shore. I plan on collecting a lot of plankton though soon including what I can find in Zostera :)

Hi Domboski

Calanoid copepods you say, floating in the current...I think I collect them also over here with my plankton net along with other quite interesting life forms, have a look...

These are some of the plankton critters I collect with my Aquatic Eco 60 micron plankton net

Rede_de_Pl_ncton_60_micron.jpg

This one here is my favorite as it reminds me of the ancient and extinct Trilobites
Pl_ncton_trilobite.jpg

The other "Trilobite" but transparent, a molt of the above but zoomed 100 times.
Pl_ncton_trilobite_1.jpg

plankton molt fragments zoomed 100 times
Pl_ncton21.jpg

Harpaticoid
Pl_ncton10.jpg

Fire worm
Pl_ncton9.jpg

molts
Pl_ncton8.jpg

molts and a nauplius larvae possibly of a copepod
Pl_ncton7.jpg

Pl_ncton6.jpg

sponge calcareous spicule
Pl_ncton5.jpg

Harpaticoid molt
Pl_ncton4.jpg

Pl_ncton3.jpg

Ostracode larvae
Pl_ncton2.jpg

Pl_ncton1.jpg

this one I call it "amonite" it is a benthic foraminiferan

Pl_ncton19.jpg

Molts
Pl_ncton20.jpg

Pl_ncton18.jpg

Pl_ncton17.jpg

Pl_ncton16.jpg

Possibly dinoflagelate and a sponge spicule
Pl_ncton15.jpg

Molt
Pl_ncton14.jpg

Pl_ncton13.jpg

Pl_ncton12.jpg

Pl_ncton11.jpg

Pl_ncton_400_xxxxx.jpg

Fire worm and Harpaticoid
Pl_ncton_400_xxxx.jpg

Pl_ncton_400_xxx.jpg

Calanoid ?
Pl_ncton_400_xx.jpg

Molts
Pl_ncton_400_x.jpg

Pl_ncton_400_vezes.jpg

And two videos

http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/data/534/MOV01871.MPG
http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/data/534/MOV01872.MPG

Dr. Ronald L. Shimek was kind enough to identify them for me or as He said, the closest possible.

It's simply amazing the micro world, so full of life, I'm sure you will have great fun checking the ones you collect with your microscope.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: