Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be in Queens and wanted to check out a few LFS here. Anyone know of a few good ones in the area- anywhere in queens. Would love to see if any of MR sponsors are in Queens. Thanks!

T3TRODOTOXIN

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Ninja...

Contrary to what a lot believe, Fishtown USA got a lot better (in terms of fish).

Coral... not really the place to buy. For instance Kenya Tree frag, being sold for $45 is a bit ridiculous.

But their fish prices... are competing with LiveAquaria, and considering its a Brick and Mortar store... its really great.

But its a week to week thing in all honesty, depending on their shipments and what not.

But for instance I've seen Yellow Tangs and Hippo Tangs on sale there for ~$20-$25. Where stores in a nearby location are selling the same sized tang for $35-$45..

Fish health... is alright, better than what I've seen in the past. You just gotta learn how to "look" at fish... different signs of symptoms indicating an ailment the fish may have... but out of every store I ever bought fish from, I have never lost a fish that was purchased at fishtown. And... they actually have a live guarantee policy unlike a lot of other stores. I believe its only for 24 hours, and they require a water sample.

Kissena Aquarium is pretty much hit or miss... sometimes they have nice cheap frags. But other times just brown "doo-doo" looking coral. They got like a buy 3 frags get 1 free type deal. Plus the the guy can work with you on price if you mention you belong to a reef club.

The new Pets Warehouse (not in Queens, but not far... right by the Roosevelt Field Mall)... is pretty good. A week to week thing... but they have had some HUGE coral for sale, for pretty decent prices. And they have this $45 any coral tank, and not all of them are worth $45 but some are definitely worth more... definitely a good place to stop by if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I was at Kissena Aquarium on Sunday looking for some lps frags. I couldn't find anything interesting. Most of the frags are sps and the rest are large and overpriced pieces. If you buy something from them, dipping is a must. The tanks don't look well taken care off. Fish were healthy except one hippo gasping at the bottom of the tank and not moving but it may happen. Maybe it was not a good day to visit this place. Large selection of fish by the way.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I helped start Fish Town's tanks in the very early 70s and I go there every few months. He carries a lot of unusual stuff you don't see anywhere else but the corals are not that great at all.
The fish prices are very good. I get live blackworms there as he gives very large portions that last me over a month.
I grew up on Kissena Blvd, where is Kissena Aquarium?

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
fishtown fishes are great but i wouldnt buy and frags from them as they are not only over priced but ive seen flat worms in their tanks. so dipping is a must. theyve improved or are trying to improve considering the way the store was a few years ago. talked to Noel there and he said its hard getting someone aka the owner to adapt to new technology and so on as he is used to doing things one way. kissena aquariums is a nice lil hidden joint and like someone said u have to get there early when delivery comes in. and we have vendors in queens too dunno if i should be doing this but check out http://www.reefscreation.com/ alan is the best guy ive met locally here on MR

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
right across the street from east buffet

Thats Great. Where is East Buffet? I moved away from there almost 40 years ago.

Paul B, you help to start fish town?? Nice!! now I know why their fish are heathly.. most of the times

That was also 40 years ago and it was a different owner. The store was not even there, it was in the plumbing store about a mile west of it's present location.

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
It is 4630 Kissena Blvd. I was visiting someone in Queens and if not my GPS I would never find it. I hate driving in Queens. There is no logic to any street designation there. Sorry Queens residents but this is how many people including me see it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: