frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can anybody give me there opinions suggestions advice. Is it a a bad choice to buy from petco. Buy live rock, sand and marine fishes. I live in Astoria and can go to these lfs stores total,aquarium or Manhattan aquarium. Also I like to buy online but have bad experience with ups guy who delivers packages doesn't wait for you to answer the door I complained to head office but nothing solved. I guess its my luck I work from 2 in the afternoon till 10:30 at night anyway still planning slow on tank size internal or external overflow sump plumbing, lighting also any suggestions advice on this as well thanks inadvance.

Sent from my, PG86100 using Reefs

Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you can get a ride to Yonkers on Friday, Maximum Aquarium (not 100% sure of name) has a big sale. I have not been there yet, but everyone I have spoken to has nothing but good things to say about them. (They are vendors on MR)

Alfred

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alfred I will keep store in mind . Saturday I should be free. So I'll take a drive down, look to see tanks and canopy also stand, haven't decide on tank size yet slow planning. Thanks in advance for suggestion.

Sent from my PG86100 using Reefs

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Frankie, check out Aquarium Village out at Garden City. They are vendors here as well, good people, good prices. And then of course bunch of vendors here just go to the "Market Place" forum, and check out the list to the left.;)

chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manhattan Aquariums
Home of New York Aquarium Service
522 West 37th Street, New York, NY 10018.
Located between 10th and 11th Avenues.

is great and they have a 25% sale fri and sat

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi can anybody give me there opinions suggestions advice. Is it a a bad choice to buy from petco. Buy live rock, sand and marine fishes. I live in Astoria and can go to these lfs stores total,aquarium or Manhattan aquarium. Also I like to buy online but have bad experience with ups guy who delivers packages doesn't wait for you to answer the door I complained to head office but nothing solved. I guess its my luck I work from 2 in the afternoon till 10:30 at night anyway still planning slow on tank size internal or external overflow sump plumbing, lighting also any suggestions advice on this as well thanks inadvance.

Sent from my, PG86100 using Reefs

I've visited a few while doing my research and my favorites by far are Maximum Reef and Aquarium village. Both places are really clean, nice selection and helpful staff.

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will be expensive, but you need a staff who knows what there doing. And has good stuff, equipment, fishes extra thank you all for yor opinions advice. My planning is still slow.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yeah, they have very nice stuff and really know what they are doing, but boy are they expensive. (To be expected of ANY store operating in Manhattan, I don't fault them for it)

Alfred

Agree! Manhattan rents are ridiculous, and therefor you have to pay higher prices... I didn't say they are bad people for it.;) I said I can't shop there on account that hubby's pockets are not that deep.......
I grew up in Manhattan, and had to leave it some 27 years ago on account of the higher cost of living vs Queens. No way we could afford to purchase a home in Manhattan, which was our goal.:)
If you have the cash then go for it.;) MA does have gorgeous animals!!
In the mean time I will continue to shop where I can afford to, and still get nice animals, and outstanding customer service!:)

Happy Reefing....................:grouphug:

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me to go were I can afford prices on fish equipment, cause manhattan is expensive. That's why I asked if anyone buys marine fishes at petco supplies they need like red sea salt. Also I came across this lfs total aquarium I'm going to check it out. Shop around I want a place to buy a nice tank with stand and canopy cherry wood color to match my tv entertainment unit. Thanks in advance for all your opinions, comments.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would go to Aquarium Village or Pet's Warehouse for both fish tanks, and or the animals, as well as salt. These two shops have good prices. Aquarium Village has very good customer service as well. I believe you can even get custom fish tank stands at AV, and they are a vendor on MR.;)

Best wishes with your project!

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for advice info and opinions. Hopefully today I can go check the store's my planning is slow on setup, tank size. But knowing good store's to go to with good service makes me feel good. I also heard pet warehouse is good and someone told me there used to be a store before called aquarium adventure no there anymore out of business. These place located in long island. Cause near me is better traveling far I feel isn't good for fishes.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
There is a pet's warehouse in Carle Place not far from Aquarium Village.;) I'm in Queens also. The trip to Carle Place/Garden City is not so bad if you drive.
Yup, aquarium adventures is no longer, actually Pet's Warehouse took over their old place.lol

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Same store I am pretty sure... Fishtown has it's ups and downs and you can find some interesting things there, but if you are going to buy anything but the most common items, I suggest you either go with someone with experience or plan what you are going to look for in advance and discuss it with experienced reef keepers. Just my opinion...

There must be more experienced reefers in Queens and Brooklyn than the rest of the East Coast combined! What is it about those to boroughs? LOL

Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: