beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So anyone using NYC tap water besides BK?? Would be great to use lol.

Its true, it depends what ions are present. According to the nyc water report it does have Some of the things we look for.

Would phosban, dechlorinator, and macro possibly be able to do the trick?

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Yea I've been using tap water to top off and do water changes with whenever I don't have the time to get RO, i usually do one water change with RO, and the next with tap, and top off with tap water. I use seachem prime as a dechlorinator. I do this in my 29 gal mixed reef, have a lot of SPS that are encrusting and doing great.

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea I've been using tap water to top off and do water changes with whenever I don't have the time to get RO, i usually do one water change with RO, and the next with tap, and top off with tap water. I use seachem prime as a dechlorinator. I do this in my 29 gal mixed reef, have a lot of SPS that are encrusting and doing great.

Salute

5thChorseman

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I uased tap water that is run through my drinking water filter. The filter is supposed to remove chlorine and phosphate, but I never test for them. Some time I just use tap water when I am in a hurry.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I get a reading of 35 ppm on tap water in East Quogue. After I run it thru carbon tho , I get 51 ppm. So the carbon is raising the TDS reading. I used to get 0 from my R/O unit but for some reason , I started get an elevated reading so I had to add a DI filter to my RO unit to get it back to 0???

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_20140301_170322_zpshy6msdxa.jpg

534 ppm in. 50 out.

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have 36-37 here in Bay Ridge but I would never think about using tap water in my tank. NYC water is one of the best in the country however it's very high sediments. Some people in other parts of the country like Arizona reports TDS in range of 500-600 or even higher.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I used tap water in Bay Ridge when I started my tank. CYANO everywhere

Bought an rodi and after several water changes got rid of it

I have 36-37 here in Bay Ridge but I would never think about using tap water in my tank. NYC water is one of the best in the country however it's very high sediments. Some people in other parts of the country like Arizona reports TDS in range of 500-600 or even higher.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: