Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
so i got a magnum canister filter at the swap for free and decided to fill it with carbon. I ordered 20pounds on amazon and was able to put a whole ten pounds and hooked it up to my manifold and opened the flow the whole way the carbon is the big pellet type. so i come home today after this has been runing for like a month to find my sump all black with like broken down carbon residue my filter socks very black and alittle not much carbon in my main display tank. i already cleaned everything up and took of the canister to change the carbon and put filter socks on,my return nozels and increased all my flow to get some more of this residue out. question y do ya think this happen to the carbon could it be because of to much flow or carbon to cheap i dont understand and dont want this problem repeating itself again

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
10 pounds of carbon is way too much to run on a tank, you will strip all of the good elements & whatnot out of your water :(

No idea why it broke up into your tank, but keep up with the filter stock and see how much of it you can get suspended into the water column and get it out via the filter sock and by netting it out. A turkey baster might help pull out what is in the sump as you don't want that going through your pumps.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
10 pounds of carbon is way too much to run on a tank, you will strip all of the good elements & whatnot out of your water :(

+1, than you have to understand how works , Active Carbon acting like sponge, u will strip good staff to, + cheap carbon have lots of PO4, use ESV Carbon.

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
i put ten pounds of carbon because that fit in the canister perfectely. The flow is pretty pretty high mayge 6-700 gph it had my water looking crystal clear sps and lps doing great polyps growing super fast. i cleaned the sump out this morning like at 7 and i put filter socks on the returns helped out alot i also brougt my wp40 more down to move the sand because the sand was alittle dark am also gonna check my water soon but everything looks fine. maybe its because it was cheap carbon i got from amazon 20lbs for 25$ and the pellets were big like rabbit food but it was activated carbon said premium grade. luckily i suffered no fatalities lol i also dose plenty of vitamins and minerals twice a week and feed marine snow every other day. thanks for the imput guys everything is appreciated

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: