fas917

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hey guys,

I bought the stand a while back from pet shop, but this weekend I found that it is leaning to the back like half an inch. The stand is for 65g tank, 36'' L 18'' W. I just put the tank up on the stand and found this. I am afraid to put water on it.

Should I buy a new stand or all iron stand are like this on perfectly straight?? Thanks.

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would not risk using it. Do you have access to someone with a welder? I have welded corner braces into metal stands before to prevent this from happening. Get the same size steel angle iron from HD cut it to 6" lengths and weld them from top to the legs at 45% angles. then make longer ones to fit below the ones already on the legs to make 45% pieces for the front and weld them all in place.

fas917

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I would not risk using it. Do you have access to someone with a welder? I have welded corner braces into metal stands before to prevent this from happening. Get the same size steel angle iron from HD cut it to 6" lengths and weld them from top to the legs at 45% angles. then make longer ones to fit below the ones already on the legs to make 45% pieces for the front and weld them all in place.

Nope, dont know anyone with a welder either. Man this is what I get for buying things from pet shop.

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess first thing to find out is....
are floor level?
are legs bending?
is stand level on level floor (parallel) but the legs are leaning back?

if the last one is the case, you definitely need to strengthen the legs with braces as previously suggested. If you don't do anything... you are throwing the dice.... just hope it doesn't land snake eyes.

fas917

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I guess first thing to find out is....
are floor level?
are legs bending?
is stand level on level floor (parallel) but the legs are leaning back?

if the last one is the case, you definitely need to strengthen the legs with braces as previously suggested. If you don't do anything... you are throwing the dice.... just hope it doesn't land snake eyes.

Thank itself is leveled, but the legs are bending slightly to the back. Hmm braces huh, but where do I get a welder to do that.

Any other way I can brace them?

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you want to know if your stand is "Square", first measure the exact length of the legs. If they are all the same length (which they should be) measure from the top corner of the right side front leg to the bottom side of the right rear leg. Now measure the top of the rear right side leg to the bottom of the right side front leg. If the measurements are the same, that side is "Square". Basically you are measuring in an X pattern. Use this same formula to measure both sides and the front and back.

Be sure to measure from the same spot on both legs to get an accurate measurement.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
can you post a pic, I still don't understand which part is not level.

the top is lower by a half inch, because the legs are bent? :confused:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thank itself is leveled, but the legs are bending slightly to the back. Hmm braces huh, but where do I get a welder to do that.

Any other way I can brace them?

OHH! that doesn't sound good. you could try and bang them straight and then put braces. you don't have to necessarily weld them. you could just crew the braces in place. there are screws that drill right though metal. depending on the thickness of the stand it may take you a while to drill thru. you could drill a small pilot hole first.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
fas917,

Have you considered getting a different stand? If the money is right I would just buy a different stand. Personally, the metal stands always make me nervous.

E

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you decide to go with the braces, but cannot find a welder. Try to get self drilling screws, a good hardware store should carry them. Look for a hex washer head (either 1/4 or 5/16") with a number 3 or 4 point. 3 or 4 point will allow you to cut thru both pieces of metal and then the threading will stitch them together. You need to use an electric screwdriver/drill because you will NOT do that with a screwdriver.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If i am not mistaken, you mentioned that the tank itself is level? In that case it's simply a bad welding job on the stand. I doubt the 1/2" angle will make much of a difference since it was welded on with the top being level.

Did i understand you correctly?

Post some pics.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: