Rating - 100%
278   0   0
hey MR,
i was thinking of upgrading my skimmer, im currently running a skimz skimmer but over time they seem to get noisier.

im looking for an upgrade the choices are NYOS 120, reef octopus Regal 150 SSS, pr deltec 1351.

the nyos looks nice but ive read some good reviews but i also hear alot of bad about that skimmer. and i hear they dont stand behind their products when it breaks down fairly easily.

i know the reef octopus is tried and true and thats what im leaning towards
but i hear deltec makes some of the best skimmers out there for the money you pay.

just wanted to hear peoples opinion on things.
anyone have experience with deltec skimmers ?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nyos nice, some weak spots. Reef octopus a beast, and best bang for buck. If you want quiet, and steady once dialed in, vertex omega

If you can get air fed to skimmer from outside, any Skimmer, much quieter

Last edited:

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've had a Nyos 160 for 1-1.5 years now and it has been working flawlessly since day 1. I can't say anything about the company standing behind their product because I have had no issues. However, I believe costumer service is handled through Ecotech Marine, and I have had nothing but good customer service from them over the years. As far as the quality of the Nyos; it is a really, really nice skimmer. I love the fine tuning that can be done on this thing to get just the right amount of bubbles vs water, the size of the bubbles, and flow rate. Most importantly; it does a great job skimming and this is by FAR the quietest skimmer I have ever heard (or not heard).

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've had a Nyos 160 for 1-1.5 years now and it has been working flawlessly since day 1. I can't say anything about the company standing behind their product because I have had no issues. However, I believe costumer service is handled through Ecotech Marine, and I have had nothing but good customer service from them over the years. As far as the quality of the Nyos; it is a really, really nice skimmer. I love the fine tuning that can be done on this thing to get just the right amount of bubbles vs water, the size of the bubbles, and flow rate. Most importantly; it does a great job skimming and this is by FAR the quietest skimmer I have ever heard (or not heard).

Yeah, let me guess, you have a NYos,

The weak spots are those titanium screws going into acrylic. Be particularly careful with the long one that holds the bubble plate.

Vertex are simply quieter. Vertex has silicone hose connecting pump to body, and the pump also sits on silicone feet. Which isolates the pump vibration pretty much completely. The only thing quiet designed into nyos is the fact that their pumps use so lil power. Btw, good on them for finally getting away from those Edan pumps, they were a disaster

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
source.gif

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0

I have to agree ..i have the nyos 120 and it has been dead silent and working flawlessly since day one (had it a week after it hit the markets)
I too haven't had a reason to call customer service.
I recommend the nyos

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
i went with the reef octopus regal 150sss, it comes with a DC pump so it is stupid quiet compare to what i had before. people always told me how a good skimmer makes all the difference, ive never realized that until now. you can see the difference in the reaction chamber how much more bubbles this beast creates compare to my old skimmer. its foaming and dark sludge is pumping out within days of having this skimmer. break in time was about 1-2 days. thank you everyone for their input !!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: