JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Well here i go....my girlfriend wanted to set up a tank so I told her to do Freshwater...after taking her to see some tanks and fish...she decided they were too ugly and wants a saltwater tank....then she looked over and saw a freaking seahorse and now wants a seahorse tank and clown fish....anyone here an expert with seahorse tanks...whats the set up like....can they be kept with corals...cause if she gets it i'd like to give her some corals so the tank can have some color and extra life...tank size will most likely be no bigger than 30gal.....thanks...

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Sounds like this could end up being like the parents who buy the kid a dog. Based on what I know, seahorses need constant attention, including multiple feedings each day (the reason I'm not doing seahorses). If your girlfriend hasn't ever had a tank, you had the right idea initially telling her to go freshwater. If you guys live together, you may end up taking care of the tank and if not, she really shouldn't start with seahorses. If she's dead set on saltwater, maybe a smallish clownfish tank until she gets some experience under her belt.

I don't know either of you, and maybe she will be very committed to the tank, but most people don't realize the amount of work involved in a saltwater tank, let alone a seahorse tank.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I've kept seahorses for years.

They are extremely difficult and require much more time to maintain than regular reef inhabitants. My thoughts off the top of my head:
1. Have a high tank, seahorses like tanks with depth.
2. You need to feed them live food almost every day (mysis with vibrance is the recommended food). My seahorses in the past seemed to like only one type of mysis. They also liked live brine, however, it provides no substance for them.
3. Do not put fish that eat mysis in with seahorses, they will always beat out the seahorses for food.
4. The tank should be a low flow tank, since seahorses can't swim as well as other fish.
5. Huge skimmer to remove excess nutrients from daily feedings.
6. No stinging corals! forget anemones, etc.

The perfect tank would be a macroalgae tank, with gorgonians through out, that is 2 feet high (65 gallon or above), low flow, T5 lights with one MH, and lots of cleanup critters. As for other fish, maybe an algae blenny would be OK.

Right now I don't have any seahorses, and to be quite honest, I am HAPPY! They were the most demanding pet I have ever kept, but beautiful and rewarding nevertheless.

Last edited:

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Solbby...u just made my day and year...thanks..now thats helpful info...she getting a clown fish maybe two and thats it....:lol2:, she told me off the back she wants as lil maintance as possible....so seahorses are out the window...pheww...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: