Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
So while cycling a tank while nitrites drop, you may experience a drop in nitrates as well because of algae growth. Since algae consumes nitrates. Am I right?

If I am then I?m finally getting the hang of this reef stuff.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The amount of algae growth during a cycling is very small, so even though it may consume some nitrates it would be very little, to the point where you're not really going to notice it. Basically during the cycle nitrates should keep increasing until all of ammonia and nitrites are complete zero, which at that point they should remain the same until you do a water change or use another method to bring them down, like adding a refug with algae in it.

Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
My algae outbreak was pretty big actually. Like 70% of my rocks are covered which is my fault for leaving the lights on. And my nitrates were around 50-60 ppm before the outbreak. And after the the algae outbreak it?s down to like 20ppm. There?s no other place where I would know where the nitrates are going.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: