Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Algae ID & removal

Hi, I have had algae problems since I started my tank. This is my first ever tank and have posted a few of my seemingly serious problems. The tank is about 3 months old, 20 gal with a 2” deep sandbed and about 15 lbs of dry rock. I cycled with Dr Tims ammonia solution and live nitrifying bacteria. I had the ammonia & nitrate spikes and then everything zeroed out. I had the diatoms but then green hair algae exploded along with either cyano or Dino’s. I have done multiple water changes, siphoned the crap off the sandbed and rock and fully removed the rock and scrubbed down with toothbrush 3 times. Everything looks good for a few days and then bang! Algae is back! I was using API tests that were telling me phosphates & nitrates were zero but just got the salifert tests and nitrates are 50ppm! I only have a small CUC, one small ocellated clown and a tailspot blenny. I only feed once a day so I don’t think it’s overfeeding but I am worried it’s the dry rock. I just started dosing hydrogen peroxide 2x per day. Hopefully this will stop the algae from starting up again. Any ideas or advice is very welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
what kind of snails do you have? variety? ever think of adding a sea hare - not entirely sure this is GHA but could be the way to go since your other methods seem on point. do you use RODI water?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Seems like a relatively easy fix, 1) get ur water tested by a 3rd party I.e LFS; friend with reliable test kits( non expired/consistent test), find out where ur chemistry is at.
2) increase flow Dino/cyano tend to grow where gases are being broke down/released. Increase flow/current and looking into sand sifters, gobies,snails,wrasses, starfish anything that turn over ur sand( I recommend nassarius snails) and just let ur tank balance out, you might be cleaning it to often causing temporary relief.
3) what’s ur lighting schedule? Could be to much light(time/intensity)