seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I am getting back into reefing and setting up a nano tank. I laugh at how expensive it is. I had got rid of all my equipment several years ago and had to repurchase all items.

I thought I went from zero memory of what I need, and quickly to the negative of my pocket book, began purchasing items I need.

I am waiting for my live rock to come, and so I knew I needed a tank and reef lighting.

I was shocked to see LED reef lighting come down in price. I remember when they were coming out and how expensive they were.

Then I remembered, I need a skimmer, auto top off for water, chemical testing, refractometer, buckets for water change, salt, additional circulation pump, heat and A/C controller... Don't think I need a chiller for my apartment, but you never know. I know I have to look at a battery back up for circlulation in case power goes off.

I am not even thinking about when I have to buy new corals...

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Update on 10 gallon nano tank....

I see that temperature, salt and other parms can vary drastically in a short period of time.

Just purchased a redundant 2nd heater, 2nd controller and backup coolworks micro chiller as a backup to cooling fans.

The money pit continues, even on a 10 gallon tank.. LOL..?

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Ok I have a 10 gallon Nuvo. Kept it simple. Most equipment I had from a larger tank. Few pieces of rock, AI prime HD, Tunze ATO, Tunze 6040 powerhead,

I agree that the costs does add up. All in all, I’m about 1k in with corals, livestock etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: