dansch

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is cycling with LR. I have not aquascaped the tank yet. In order to do this I will need to take all of the LR out and wait for the tank to settle before I can start arranging the rock back in the tank. How long can I safely keep the rock out of the tank? What is the best way to hold it for a few hours outside the tank? TIA

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just doing research now, gearing up to finally go reef after doing fish-only for quite a while now, but here's my two cents..

If you're just cycling, I'm going to guess (hope) that your LR is sort of like "base" LR. (Not heavily encrusted with life but with a nice coating of slimy goodness..) If that's the case, I would tend to think you'd be ok keeping it in clean buckets for a few hours.

If it IS pretty well encrusted with life, I'm not sure what to tell you, but obviously everything on it is going to be more sensitive to changes.

What about asking your LFS to hold on to it for a few days while you get truely ready for it? (Don't have high expectations with that though...)

Good luck!

clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say put it into a big rubbermaid bucket with your tank water and throw a powerhead in for circulation. IMO

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that's a great way to go too.. - i've had to use one i usually use for xmas decorations a couple times now.. just rinse it first...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: