Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all ... I'm new here on this site. I am an accomplished freshwater breeder (commercial for 10 years), and I had a 70 gallon reef tank 10 years ago. However, a lot has changed ...

I'd like to set up a 29 or 40 gallon micro-reef. Looking for advice ...

1) Lighting ... PC or MH?
2) Bare bottom or Sand Bed? I've read about Deep Sand Beds ... are they worthwhile? Should I have a plenium?
3) How much benefit is there to adding a Refugium?
4) Protien Skimmer ... yes or no? I have an old Red Sea Skimmer ... would that work?

Thanks
Jeff

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff-
I'm glad that you have decided to start a reef again, but... small books have been written on just on part of your question.
Some things have changed in the past 10 years, but not a lot. People are still experimenting with all of the options that you mentioned, and having success and failure with all of them. No one can give you the magic formula, because there are lots of them. But...
If you have a large tank (over 75gallons) look into metal halides with power compacts for sunrise/sunset.
Bare bottom tanks will work, but do not fear live sand beds. If you are hesitant to put in your main tank, try adding a refugium that has a deep sand bed (maybe some macro algaes as well). Then if you sense that it is not working out, you can change it more easily. I don't think you will have a problem with it. As for plenum or no plenum, there is a lot of debate over both. I have seen both work and both fail. Your best bet is to read up on both and see which one makes the most sense to you.
Most people still use protein skimmers, and yes your Red Sea skimmer will work.
The trends may change, but the underlying biological principles remain the same.
Good Luck! J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: