bbillyc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Manitoba Canada we have one of the largest supplies limestone on the planet. This stuff is ancient coral beds..it is everywhere and I can get it for nothing. :D I understand that I need to seed with live rock and sand, but why should't I be able to use this stuff for the main bulk of the aquarium floor and structured aquascape? I don't believe the LFS when they say that any natural limestone is toxic to fish and that only stuff taken from the threatened ocean environments, or cultured by some reef farmer will do? :cry: I'd appreciate your comments :wink:

ChaoticReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limestone itself is not toxic, like you have stated it is what on bottom of the sea. Although it does raises a flag in my mind. It might have impurities in it which might pollute your tank and cause uncontrollable algae bloom.

Another problem that might arise is the size of limestone chunks. For a reef tank you want very fine size (sand) not big chunks.

I don't often side with LFS, but in this case I am in agreement with your LFS.

bbillyc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice.

The limestone comes in all shapes and sizes....from fine powder, to grains, to blocks the size of large buildings. It can be shaped very easily. some is very dense and some quite porous. My thought was to simply go through the mountains of crushed stuff available and just sift out the sizes I want like I do for stratifying granite and silicates to make a fiable soil for bonsai. 8) I can grade if from 2 m upward. :P I could also take small or medium irregualr shaped blocks and shape them.

This stuff is everywhere here and a major contributor to the base soil...which is undoubtedly of a higher PH- about 7.5. It looks absolutely identical to aragonite. :roll:

But I will heed your caution. When I get more experience with saltwater reef growth, it might make a good experiment. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Philippe Dor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it as gravel before, and now I am still using it as base rock and never had any problems with it. Especially the softer rock is most probably aragonite and is very difficult to find in most countries. You are very lucky to have this easy supply of fantastic stuff!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: