VICTORIA

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I've had saltwater tanks for 20yr...BUT There was about a 10yr. period where I have only had a 30 gal never did WC or any thing for that matter. Just fed the fish and cleaned the filter. When I could not see in the tank anymore I'd do a 50% WC , and forget about it for eight months or so.. Well about 1yr. ago I wanted to stir my intrest again. Wow have things changed. I bought a 100gal seaclear, transfered all the fish (all three) (oldest one 8yr old) put in 90lb LR. It went thur a gentle cycle.(1year ago). Now a yr later the tank is looking very good (the new way). The problem is high nitrates 15ppm. upon reading the many thread in here. I have removed 2/3 of the bio balls that came with the system. I replaced it with LR in the sump. I have no other type of filtration other than LR , DSB, and whats in the sump. My question is should I remove the rest of the bio balls? Can I add something else equipment wise that would help? (also I have caught up on saltwater teck stuff) and I do WC the way you supposed too.

nitrite 0
ph 8.0 am 8.2 pm
nitrate 15
cal 420
temp 77
sg 1.024
mag 1300
p04 0
dkh 13

100gal sea clear
seaclear skimmer
heater

1 maroon clown 9yr
2 perks
1 blue dam
1figi dam
1 dotback
1 six line wrasse
1lawn mower blenny
1 small gobi
1 pearl jaw
surpent star
2 pieces octocoral
3 feather duster
5 small crabs
3 cleaner shrimp (2 are 3yr)
1 blood cleaner shrimp
2 camel backs
1 pepermint
and a bunch of critters

maybe I could get some advice as to how I could do this better. I'm open :D

tpro

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention if you have a sand bed in your tank, but if you don't put one in the best way to control nitrates. The sAnd bed should be at least 3" you need that dead space for bacteria to grow which ingests the nitrates and release as nitrite gas, which in turn bubbles out of your water.You definitely need to get rid of the bio balls they are for a fish only tank w/ no live rock or sand to remove ammonia.

VICTORIA

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer, I do have a DSB , but I will remove the bio - balls ASAP. Is it ok to put small pieces of LR in the sump? Did 25% water change nitrate are still @ 15ppm.

tpro

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Victoria,
Yes you can put live rock in the sump, they call that a cryptic refugia. If you really want good water quality I woul suggest a lit refugia w/ some mud on the bottom of your sump and various forms of caulerpa. The caulerpa will absorb excees nitrates, phosphates, heavy metals, etc. etc. You can light this refugia w/ ordinary plant grow lights, acheap fluorescent fixture w/ fluorescent bulbs works very well and does not heat the water. As your plants grow you can harvest the plants removing all excess nutrients out of the water. You will also see copepods and other various creatures flourish in the refugia, providin natural food to your fis and coral.And lastly and most importantly excellent water quality. Oh, by the way float some charcoal in your refugia it will also help.

Tom

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: