• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Clint Lamont

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all types of calurpa that seems to be growing but it is turning white. Is it going dead? If it was going asexual it would stop growing right?
Also can I ad a little CO2 to help the plants like people do in fresh water tanks?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not unusual for Caulerpa sp. and it should come back (although personally, I wouldn't want it to :lol: ).

As for dosing CO2 in a saltwater tank, I wouldn't recommend it as it will probably depress system pH levels below the ideal range.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's growing it's not ready to sporulate.

The growing tips are typically white, and it can appear white after the lights have been out for a long time.

Usually it will start to turn clear before it "goes sexual".

Clint Lamont

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about brown? Cause now some of it is going brown. Is there a trick to keeping this stuff alive a thriving? I need a macro algee that will work. I keep getting this stuff and it turns to this in a short time, then I take it out and buy more. Whats the deal? Is it lighting, Iron, PH, Nitrates, water changes? I just want the damn stuff to work; Im getting tired of messing with it.

You guys are a great help! Thanks for helping all the retards like me that just don't get it.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given enough light and nutrients most of the time you can't stop the stuff from growing. In a system that is being run at very low nutrient levels it may not do well but IMO that's a good thing.

Have you considered trying some other types of macros? Chaetamorpha sp. and Gracilaria sp. are popular fuge algaes these days. Although not as fast growing as Caulerpa sp. they are generally more stable.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never dose CO2 as if it is a freshwater plant tank. CO2 is never the limiting factor for growth for Caulerpa like its freshwater counterpart.

Sounds like either you have a hard time getting good, healthy Caulerpa, or you stress it too much when you move them into your tank. When stressed, it will "go sexual."

It is definitely not the iron, or nitrate, and probably not the lighting either. See if you can get a caulerpa on a rock from a local reefer. That usually give you highest chance of success. What city are you in?

Clint Lamont

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in santa clarita out side of LA. I went to a really reliable store, and the calurpa was really green and thriving for like five or more days. Then in like a day or two it all went completly brown flaked all over the tank and made a huge swamp out of my beautiful little tank. I think I am done with the plaints, I need something that works and obviosly this will not work for me. There is something that I am doing wrong or the tank is too new or too small. I have never been sooo frustrated with a tank in my entire life!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that your water is too clean to keep fast growing algae.

Clint Lamont

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might about it being to clean. Cause I've got a UV starilizer,
skimmer for 120gal, sump with 6in sand bed and about 25lbs of rock, and a fluval 204 filled with poly filters. maybe it is just to much for the algee to grow. With all that, should I even bother with the algee?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: