thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Not a beginner, but its been quite awhile

a few weeks into a small cube setup: 20gal ( think ) with 5 gal sump - used raw shrimp to get it going
tank set up; barebottom with flat plastic sheet to protect glass, base rock, kessil light which is off for cycling, the small sump. instead of true filter sock, i went with the plastic cup from brs. have some filter floss and just added carbon as the water is increasingly cloudy. i measured the salt and its very high (use a refrac. that was just calibrated by a a local pet store so i didnt mess it up). My thought is water change is needed and begin adj the level. could that also make the tank cloudy... not what cause might be its looking slightly better with carbon but still noticeable

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
the cloudy water is a bacteria bloom, you have randomly grown planktonic versus benthic bacteria. A clam, mussel or oyster will clear that up for you. Pick a live one from the sea food market. No need to use carbon or other media, since you're cycling the tank and want the cycle to finish. You want to encourage benthic microbes, instead of planktonic ones. If you keep your light on, the bacteria will give way to algae and green water. Another filter feeder is brine shrimp (if you turn off your filters, you can grow that from eggs) or a feather duster, though which ever one you get can just live in there temporarily till the water turns clear. Soft corals will also clear your water right up. You'll also need to seed your tank with benthic microbes to speed things up. Live sand or any bacterial culture will do.

Hmm. if you get a dozen clams, (or I prefer a 2 lbs bag of mussels) you can probably filter that water out pretty quickly, eat the clams when you're done, and the clams would reseed your tank with microbes also.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
the cloudy water is a bacteria bloom, you have randomly grown planktonic versus benthic bacteria. A clam, mussel or oyster will clear that up for you. Pick a live one from the sea food market. No need to use carbon or other media, since you're cycling the tank and want the cycle to finish. You want to encourage benthic microbes, instead of planktonic ones. If you keep your light on, the bacteria will give way to algae and green water. Another filter feeder is brine shrimp (if you turn off your filters, you can grow that from eggs) or a feather duster, though which ever one you get can just live in there temporarily till the water turns clear. Soft corals will also clear your water right up. You'll also need to seed your tank with benthic microbes to speed things up. Live sand or any bacterial culture will do.

Hmm. if you get a dozen clams, (or I prefer a 2 lbs bag of mussels) you can probably filter that water out pretty quickly, eat the clams when you're done, and the clams would reseed your tank with microbes also.
thank you- i will grab something and see how it goes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: