ichthyogeek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the macro. Ninja astreas didn't eat a Gracilaria I was keeping. Nassarius are devout carnivores. I'm experimenting with mexican turbo snails at the moment.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
there are plenty of macro algae that the hermit crabs and snails don't eat, if you can be more specific on what kind of macro. ie, I have a red algae, it's pretty tough, dragon flame or something similar, but the hermits and snails eat the fine filamentous algae off of it, but not the red algae itself. Also I believe chaeto is another that would be too tough. The brown algaes are also too tough.
Soft green algae like ulva would be eaten.

Prof.Ellie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have just chosen the most delicious algae for my tank. I will try some red algae. I had Udotea sp. (mermaids fan), Rhipocephalus phoenix (shaving brush), and Halmida sp. I find my crabs on all of them eating them down to nubs.
I will try some hardier macro algae next time.

Prof.Ellie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are pretty tough species, what crabs do you have? If hermit crabs, then they are likely eating the soft, or dying parts of that plant, not a healthy growing plant.
That may be the issue. They are dying on their own after moving the crabs to anther tank. I guess the crabs weren't the problem (although they 'uproot' then a lot).

Thanks!
Cheers,
Ellie

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: