DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For some aggressive corals some sites say, " ...be careful because they may sting neighboring corals as well as sessile invertebrates..." What are these? I'm guessing they would be clams and scallops? Am I correct or are other invertebrates included in that? (I searched a few sites and could not find an exact definition)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
For some aggressive corals some sites say, " ...be careful because they may sting neighboring corals as well as sessile invertebrates..." What are these? I'm guessing they would be clams and scallops? Am I correct or are other invertebrates included in that? (I searched a few sites and could not find an exact definition)

"Sessile" means the organism doesn't generally move about. This includes clams, tunicates, fanworms -- anything that doesn't go wandering about. It also includes anemones, though they generally can move if they absolutely have to.

...Pretty much everything but the fish, clams, crabs, echinoderms, and shrimp, really. ;)

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
you are correct, clams, scalops etc.... also other inverts without a shell but they can move, if not well lets just say you didnt buy the brightest bulb in the pack

enjaze

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral are sessile(aside from a really deep sea soft coral that can move from spot to spot on the sand) however their tentacles are mobile like a sea anemone. Most species have toxic stinging cells in the tentacles that they can use for catching prey. However, most of the shallow water corals that have photosynthetic symbiots only feed at night, and due to evolution tend to have weak stinging cells. Some corals are known to expel their stomach onto immobile prey, such as other corals, similar to sea stars.

I don't know what type of corals are kept in aquariums so don't know how aggresive those might be.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: