gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi All,
You know my story:
Got a 14 Gallon Biocube off one of you guys.
Equipped it with MaxJet 1200 (I think) waterpump. To its outlet a rotating thing is connected. And it constantly stops from rotating?! How can I prevent it? I don't think it is clogged, so not sure what the problem is. Is there a replacement for it with something better? Sorry no camera so no pics.
Other than this:

6-14-09_TankFront.jpg

6-14-09_TankFront.jpg

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The rotating head comes in 2 parts, make sure that the bottom end is fully connected to the top end. Don't crush it though, pull lightly on it and if it comes apart you have it on too loose.

You should soak it in vinegar to make sure it's not clogged with calcium build up though.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Yes it is a common issue and unless it's just clogged up, there really isn't much you can do once they stop turning. The gears are plastic and they basically loosen up and aren't tight, which causes it to stop turning. You can try placing a plastic washer on the front of the unit, this will work but eventually even this fix will not keep it turning long term.

They cost about $10-$12 each and usually last for 4 months to a year, before they stop working. At that point it best to just buy another one.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yes it is a common issue and unless it's just clogged up, there really isn't much you can do once they stop turning. The gears are plastic and they basically loosen up and aren't tight, which causes it to stop turning. You can try placing a plastic washer on the front of the unit, this will work but eventually even this fix will not keep it turning long term.

They cost about $10-$12 each and usually last for 4 months to a year, before they stop working. At that point it best to just buy another one.
4 months to a year?! That's pretty damn SHORT!
What would be a good replacement to give random waterflow and last a bit longer than 1 year?
THanks!

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Guys,

The rotating flow is called a Hydor Flow rotating deflector:

p-17025-24331-fish-supply.jpg

I just put one on a month ago, I was going to use the scwd, but I did not have a return pump available to power it. So this unit just sticks on to the end of many power heads. It definitely, creates a wave motion, but does cut down on the flow from the power head. At $10-$12 it is pretty cheap.

I am hoping to get the 4 months to 12 months use out of it. It is so cheap, it seems worth it and a very cheap way to create a wave in a tank.

Now, if budget was not an issue, I would go with a Vortech and they cost a lot but have many benefits and of course are for a different thread.

All in all, I thought that the price for the Hydor Flo is very cheap for what it does. I think it comes with a 1 year guarantee.

Here is a maintenance and trouble shooting page from a web retailer.

Regular cleaning and maintenance of the Hydor FLO will guarantee better performance. Before performing any maintenance on the Hydor FLO, disconnect power to the pump or powerhead.
  • To disassemble the unit, first detach the Deflector by pressing the white "nose" located in the front of the device.
  • Gently remove the Gear Support Frame by lifting the Locking Clamps located on each side of the Deflector Body. All components should now disassemble easily for cleaning.
  • Rinse all parts thoroughly with lukewarm water. If necessary, remove deposits with a clean soft brush. Do not use detergent or solvents.
  • Re-assemble the Hydor FLO in reverse order, making sure all parts are in the correct position.
  • Before re-connecting the Hydor FLO to the filter/pump, blow inside the Deflector Body to make sure the Propeller rotates freely.
Troubleshooting
If the Hydor FLO does not rotate, check to see if

• The powerhead/pump is plugged in to an electrical outlet.
  • The powerhead/pump is damaged.
  • The powerhead/pump is clogged or dirty.
  • The Hydor FLO is dirty.

Last edited:

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have one running on my nanocube for about 18 months with a hydor flo. Anything can and will get stuck in the "propellar" portion and the rotating wheel inside of the casing. Floss, algae, chaeto. You name it, if its not small enough it will get stuck. Just take it apart and take a look. Its super easy. Just pinch the two pieces of the white stem sticking out and you can slide the case off. You will see a stem with a verical wheel and below that will be a horizonal "propellar". The stem/vertical wheel assembly is held in with two clips connecting it to the base. The horizontal stem is just held in with pressure and a pin from the other assembly. I'll try to take some pics later for you if you need help with it.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the intrustions above but I'll leave my explanation here anyway.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thats the thing I got

Guys,

The rotating flow is called a Hydor Flow rotating deflector:

p-17025-24331-fish-supply.jpg

Troubleshooting
If the Hydor FLO does not rotate, check to see if

• The powerhead/pump is plugged in to an electrical outlet.
  • The powerhead/pump is damaged.
  • The powerhead/pump is clogged or dirty.
  • The Hydor FLO is dirty.
That's my "rotating thing!" I just cleaned the pump, going to soak the darn thing in vinegar see if that'll help. Also will try disasembling/reassembing it. Thanks for all your help. P.S. I donno how old my deflector is.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I had the Hydor Flo on my Biocube 14. It was the actual deflector was about 1.5 years old and it worked flawlessly. All I had to do was clean it every few months.

Soaking it in White Vinegar should do it, like everybody else said... make sure that no baby snails or anything got stuck in the gears.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: