skireef

Reefing since 1991
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After having reef tanks for 25 years, I will be moving out West. What do I do with the sand in my various tanks? I can sell or give away the rock and equipment And I will also have to find a home for the fish (most are over 10 years old). The corals would go quickly. Suggestions for the sand?

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Give it away I don't see why someone who is willing to rinse it couldn't use it ! sand can get expensive if setting up a large tank save few hundred on sand can use towards something else I rinsed sand I got for free for my old 75 gal and rinsing it was a nasty Job but never had any unusual issues with tank from using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
+1. My sand is probably close to 20 years old and is made up of sand from mexico,Hawaii,Puerto rico,Dominican Republic,bahamas plus what I started with..just be careful when you remove it from the tank!if there is any part of the sand that is black it will contain sulfur and is extremely dangerous to inhale...be careful! !

skireef

Reefing since 1991
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Remember, even to toss it, I still have to "remove" it and put it in buckets. Theoretically, it can be cleaned in place (the tank) and put in buckets. I have sand in 5 of my 6 tanks plus 1/2 the sump.......either way, it is too much to put on the lawn. I suppose I could bring some to the river somewhere (Hudson that is).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: