Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
They are nice and small, the way they should be for a reef tank. I am looking to get about $1 each. (They go for $2 in the stores)

I also picked up some AWESOME bright green polyps on my trip, but I am going to wait a week or so before trading any of them.

-Alfred

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What I ment to ask was were they caught by you and if so how. I don't have ethical problems with getting them from the wild, I just worry about parasites.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
blue legged hermit crabs are all over the place on the Carribean shore. Anywhere were it is rocky or where there are mangroves and water conditions are good you will find them by the thousands.

As for parasites, I have not heard of anything affecting hermit crabs. I think it is safe to say that all of the collectors and distributors get their hermits this way and I am pretty sure that they just check to make sure that they are alive prior to shipping.

The hard part with hermits and astrea snails is keeping them alive in large numbers during transportation.

-Alfred

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How did you do it? did you take a corporate jet? or did you just collect them right before you left? do you have to go through customs from puerto rico? even domestic flightrs must be a pain with security.

My dad used to do a ton of business in PR. there was some big super fund case he was involved witrh for several years. It would be cool to have him bring me back crabs every time.

when I menytuioned paracites I was thinking more about somthing in the water or on the shell than somthing effecting just the crab.

I'd deffinatly love to have one. Do you know what kind it is? is there anything I have you ould want besides a dollar.n BTW did you kniow you can get all your national long distance calls for only 99 cents. it's true, and only 7 cents a minute after that!

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay Al I was over there a few weeks ago. I was over at a place called crash boat in Agudilla. I saw hundreds of these guys on the rocks by the surf. I thought about grabing a few but didnt think I'd get them through the screeners at the airport.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The only things you will not get by "screeners" would be stony corals, sea fans and sea horses. Everything else is legal to collect and transport across state lines. (Puerto Rico is part of the United States, you dont pass through customs, but "Agricultura", which is only looking for meats, fruits and vegetables. (To protect against such nasty diseases as hoof and mouth disease)

I collected them the day before I was going to fly out and put them in a 2 liter empty coke bottle. When I got back to the house I took the top off and let it sit in a cool room, the next morning I capped the bottle and put it in my suitcase wrapped in my dirty cloths to keep it warm in the belly of the airplane. Only fill the bottle half way with water.

-Alfred

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
what kind are they? got pics? I have a boojk about reef life around florida and it should be able to help identify it.

D

DJSQETCH

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
are those polyps ready yet? i would like to buy some...i can pick them up when i drop off your coral on sunday around noon

D

DJSQETCH

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
how much are they? did you place your order yet? we can just discuss the polyps when i drop off your corals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: