jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I posted this on RC also, but wanted to share here as well.
I was home resting my back today and waiting for Jose to call, he never did :P jk Jose.
I never wanted power heads in my tank.
I built a decent CL to provide the flow, it's run by a blueline 40X.
I've found that the CL is not enough and I'm getting a lot of detritus build up in the back of my rock formations. It's an awkward spot to try and siphon out so I decided to place three small power heads behind the rocks to prevent the junk from accumulating. I did not plan on this project but I had a tube of aquastik, a bunch of shells, and an idea. The photos don't need much explaining.

ph16vq.jpg

I sanded down the plastic for better adhesion.

ph27ij.jpg

ph36df.jpg

ph75sk.jpg

ph62hp.jpg

what you'll see of them behind the rocks

ph52wt.jpg

ph41nk.jpg

it did not take long, but I am still getting the putty off my hands.
I think they'll blend in well.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I know, reviving a REALLY old thread.

jh, that is awesome. I love'em man. The sight of my PH's makes me sick. Very creative and they just look great.

Now that time has passed, have you found maintenance on them to be difficult? Has anything grown on them? Have any hermits abandoned their current homes for the glued in ones? lol That would be too funny.

I'd like to see pix of them now that they've been in your tank for about 9 months.

master

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ha, no they are not listed wingo.

Russ I have not touched them since I put them in, I guess I should check them. A bunch of stuff has grown on them, but they do not get too much light so it's mostly sponges. there is some pocilipora on one of them, that is everywhere in my tank though.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jon, still very cool. You created more surface area for biological filtration too. I'm sure you've got tons of stuff living inside it. Regardless, it LOOKS GREAT, and that was your original intent.

Russ

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yeah, they are tough to see, ones in a corner and the other is under a pvc rack with rocks on it. about the only give away are the cords coming out of them.

I would recommend using rock rubble and not shells. the one with the shells looks kind of dumb. the one with the rock and coral branch's blends in with the rock.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
rickytsui said:
nice work J did u try it in the tank yet?

hey Ricky,

yes they have been in the tank since last june. they make keeping the back of the tank debris free easy, it all gets blown to the front where I can easily siphon it out.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Now that time has passed, have you found maintenance on them to be difficult? Has anything grown on them? Have any hermits abandoned their current homes for the glued in ones? lol That would be too funny.

I'd like to see pix of them now that they've been in your tank for about 9 months.

master

um, am I supposed to maintain them :eek: ? I have not touched them since they went in the tank. I guess I can fish them out and check them.

they are both in dark corners so the only things that have grown on them are sponges and pocilipora which is everywhere in my tank :grumpy:

as far as I know no hermits have tried to walk off with a powerhead, but you never know :Blurp:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: