Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a few peaces in my tank it seems like they do more encrusting then branching. I have polp extention and color but it seem like it just want to encrust! I under stand they are animals with their own plan for life, thought maybe there may be away to get them to grow up!!

thanks

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Pretty much all SPS encrust before they grow up. It just gives them a sturdier base. Think of all that weight that it will be holding up, the wider, thicker and stronger the base, the better. I think it's a good sign and in time it will start growing up and out. Unless of course, you have an encrusting SPS like Montipora or something. Superman Monti, for example, just spreads out over a rock and encrusts it.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Other ppl might tell u different but ime most sps grow painfully slow when they start out as 1/2" frags takes months for them to encrusted Nicely settle in and start branching! I only get 1/2 frags if it's something really nice other wise I look for multiple branch!
My sps tank been up a year and only sps that have grown into colonies r birdsnest poccilopora and stylo!
Seems like the guys with larger systems and lg sumps have better quicker growth!

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Cibo I have some fast growing SPS frags if you want em.. I think I'll be in S.I. this Saturday for a couple of hours...
everyone that I've given frags to said they've grown branches in a month..... I find myself trimming the mother colonies every other

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I agree with you Rich. Read about it, tried it, and it actually works too. But guys, don't go rushing into doing something like this until all your parameters are in check and you are providing the coral with sufficient light and flow.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm so tempted to cut that tiny oregon tort frag I bought that has been growing straight upwards for the past 8 months:)
Same here. Lol...
I'm going to cut mine pretty soon. I'm cutting mine twice, at the complete bottom and then halfway. Afterwards, I glue the two pieces around the original (the one cut completely at the bottom). The top piece is glued with the cut piece exposed. It's at that exposed skeletal where they will strat to brach from. :D

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Today I gave My SPS a hair cut!!! To see if it will branch out more.... So I cut it up and put it on some plugs. lets see how the mother and frags do!!!

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got frags!!!!

Attachments

• acrofrags.jpg
    acrofrags.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 179

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I beleave it is validia I dont know if it is Tri color The mother is purple ish and green, when the moon lights are on it glows

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: