duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I have a green acro and a red digi thats taking over a rock from there encrusting and i want to frag a section off but i dont know how to go about it.the 2 pieces are on rock i cant take out of the tank so how can i frag it in the tank.its weird my sps branching takes forever but they encrust so quick

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
pics

you can see how small the branches are but the puddle just keeps creeping across the rocks

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 246

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I may be a light thing My sps was doing the same thing I cut it and it branched off from the cut spot but about one month ago I go led's the sight is much stronger than my 150mh No I notice it looks like the puddle is starting to branch up now if it grows as much as I thinkit is going to I am gona have a hell of alot of SPS!

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
if you want to frag the encrusting part... dremel it... if you're clipping branches... clip the branches that are growing horizontally.... from personal experience.. I've found that I get the best growth on SPS when I clip frags that grow sideways instead of upwards....
I just fragged a piece of my tri color 2 weeks ago & the piece I cut off has already started to grow back and branched off again into 2 instead of 1 branch

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
This is normal.....do not worry at all. I've seen this happen numerous times, even in my tank. Don't clip anything out cause you will just stress it out. I've noticed that a flat like rock scape usually is the cause of this.

Basically, it is encrusting on rock, onto rock, onto rock and etc...until it makes it's way to an open ended area at the edge of a rock. After it "feels" that edge, it will branch out towards that empty area.

Patience, you have some amazings crustations, once they find those edges, it will grow like crazy. Trust me, keep your parameters straight and stable, and it will look really nice.

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
This is normal.....do not worry at all. I've seen this happen numerous times, even in my tank. Don't clip anything out cause you will just stress it out. I've noticed that a flat like rock scape usually is the cause of this.

Basically, it is encrusting on rock, onto rock, onto rock and etc...until it makes it's way to an open ended area at the edge of a rock. After it "feels" that edge, it will branch out towards that empty area.

Patience, you have some amazings crustations, once they find those edges, it will grow like crazy. Trust me, keep your parameters straight and stable, and it will look really nice.

+1. Let it go, they are doing great

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i hear you.my only problem is i placed the corals a couple inches away and they are on top of each other and startingh to fight.you can see the second pic where the batman is killing off the encrusting area of the blue/green tenius

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Best idea is to take out the rock and crack it with a hammer and chisel/ screwdriver. If you cant get the rock out, i've taken my bone cutter and cut just under the coral (actually cut the rock), but you'll be breaking off inch or so pieces of the coral base because the bone cutter isnt that long.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: