Rating - 100%
51   0   0
So I got home from work to see my green stylo and a frag of birds of paridise bleached all white very few polyps left, I always thought that was from to much light? Am I wrong? Why would
This happen considering I have sps higher up and doing great :/

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Duke this happen in my frag tank, using 2 bulb 24" t5 unit , so I was like Humm no way to much light, but that tank dosent get dosed yet, but then again this did happen after a water change :/ , 2 out of 4 sps bleached and all my lps are all fine

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It all depends, generally acros IMO are the first to be affected from swings. What your explaining sounds like RTN. Generally a very large swing will cause a coral to rapidly die.

In my experience corals that are not encrusted and doing poorly/stressed normally rtn after an improper water change (wrong temp, salinity, or alk swing) small tanks or frag tanks have much greater risk of this happening.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It all depends, generally acros IMO are the first to be affected from swings. What your explaining sounds like RTN. Generally a very large swing will cause a coral to rapidly die.

In my experience corals that are not encrusted and doing poorly/stressed normally rtn after an improper water change (wrong temp, salinity, or alk swing) small tanks or frag tanks have much greater risk of this happening.

Wow and I always check to make sure temps and salinity are correct but I guess no I don't test the new water alk level :/ .. In my othe thank witch is mainly sps I also never check alk on new water b4 I put it in and that's never happed :/ maybe I should start.

So wat it saying basically is test the new water and if needed dose it b4 hand?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Test your fresh made salt water sometime.. Lol

Some salts can be very inconsistent

2 weeks ago I was graced with 5 gallons of 16+ off the chart alk

If I would have done my 5 gallon change on my 25 gallon tank I would have caused a large swing.

How large is your frag tank?

Larger tanks won't be affected like a nano. One of the reason nanos are tough!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Wow that's crazy! And that was new water with that much alk?

My frag tank is a 5 gal lol wamp wamp lol

I handle the 14gal biocube pretty well so far loll

Test your fresh made salt water sometime.. Lol

Some salts can be very inconsistent

2 weeks ago I was graced with 5 gallons of 16+ off the chart alk

If I would have done my 5 gallon change on my 25 gallon tank I would have caused a large swing.

How large is your frag tank?

Larger tanks won't be affected like a nano. One of the reason nanos are tough!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Don't do a big water change and you need to monitor your Alk with a good test kit like salifert and calculate what your tank is using in a day. I suggest a reactor if you are going SPS

Ok so I have been testing my water every might and comparing the differences in change and dosing to see how much to dose regularly, I do that with the biocube but the frag tank wasent as much I guess :/ also I am using salifert kits yes! Lol

And everyone told me a reactor is over kill?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: