64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to an equipment malfunction, I just 'caught' a temperature spike that reached a high of 88.3F. It certainly wasn't that high for long and once discovered, quickly (and presumably safely) brought back down. It is normally around 79F. Presently, neither corals or fish seem stressed. Questions: What's the highest your tank has ever spiked (and for how long) without any significant damage to your corals?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spike in one of my tanks that hit 90.4 and it was that way for 2 days. I lost a leather and a Seriatopora that I had just put into the tank but a second Seriatopora and a Red Planet that had been in there for a while were fine after a few days. I also have a Montipora sp. that made it through without batting an eye. All the other soft corals were fine too.

On the converse side, I had a furnace failure and a heater failure at the same time just the other day and one of my other tanks fell to 57.4 degrees for a few hours. I had some STN on lower surfaces of a few of my SPS but all in all there was not much of a problem.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I had my tank go in the upper 80's for a few days. I had surgery and didn't check the tank for a while. Most SPS appeared stressed, a bunch of them bleached (not stn or rtn). In a couple months everything was back to normal. Only coral that i lost was my oregon tort :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: