Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I never really religiously fed any of my corals in the past. I've spot fed the occasional LPS coral specifically sun corals in the past, mostly for fun. I recently spoke to a few people who say they feed once or twice a week. One hobbyists theory was that the corals need to eat like an other living thing so he believes in feeding the corals and then relying on a good skimmer to remove the excess coral food. I was wondering how many people specifically feed sps tanks. Do you use phyto or anything else of that sort? Or are you a believer in keeping the water as free of excess nutrients as possible in an SPS dominated tank and let the corals just get what ever is left in the water column?

Thanks,

Adam

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Adam feeding helps you get deeper colors in a low nutrient tank which I'm sure yours will have with your filtration system. I'm not sure if it is from an introduced phosphate source into low nutrient reef, or if the SPS are actually loading up on the proteins. I feed most days when lights go out. Usually feed oyster feast, sometimes nutrimar and reef roids.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Every day? I fed last night and today I noticed a diatom spike at the end of the MH lighting period. Right now since I don't have a canopy to mount my lights they are only 8" away from the water and the tank is only 25" deep so the mh are only on for 5 hours and I still got a small spike. The tank is still new though. I do have 0 phosphates right now so I guess it a low nutrient tank.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Like you said, your tank is new. A good bacterial population is needed to deal with the waste. This comes in time. Every new tank goes through some sort of outbreak.... cyano, diatom, hair algae etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: