Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Check this out Dino..... I have three sps all in the same location. One has full polyp extension (and im told it's the hardest to keep happy) the other two are as you describe. I can't, and I imagine nor can anyone else, give you or me the exact explanation why our corals are behaving this way. It can be so many different things.

I think that's what makes this hobby so fascinating and sometimes frustrating. The inability to explain why things happen.

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I had SPS in my tank that browned out and had no PE for almost a year and then all of a sudden colored up and looked great. I think the key is to get your water within the correct parameters, set up your flow, place the coral in a spot you like, and then give it time to acclimate. Changing its location, flow,lighting within the tank starts the entire acclimation process over again. Once well established in your tank small changes can be made here and there with little affect but it takes a very long time. Just my 2 cents from what i've observed in my tank.

BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
What SPS are they? Some have fairly large polyps that you can see and others have really tiny ones. For example, milliporas have long, fuzzy polyps, while red dragons have the tiny ones.

Also check them out after lights out. Some of my SPS have really extended polyps when lights are off (compared to when lights are on).

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think this is good advice. The longer something sits in one place the better it does. I've found that after I forget about a coral and it sits for ..god knows how long... the health and growth is incredible.

I think the key is to get your water within the correct parameters, set up your flow, place the coral in a spot you like, and then give it time to acclimate. Changing its location, flow,lighting within the tank starts the entire acclimation process over again. Once well established in your tank small changes can be made here and there with little affect but it takes a very long time. Just my 2 cents from what i've observed in my tank.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Tony ill give u my 2 cents. I have the same question as you and the only logical thing I could come up with is this. It's true when you see them at the store they r all out extended but they have their corals a lot of time under led lights with no intensity, corals extend more at night looking for food. Second they have no fish in the same tank that they would be feeding that could also feed the corals so their corals are always hungry. Your tank or my tank is being fed everyday and I think corals are eating all the time corals don't need to extend there tentacles to be happy. If the colors are good then the coral is happy. Take a scoly or a acan they extend their tentacles only to eat. That's my theory lol

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have been keeping SPS since 1997 and I can honestly tell you that I don't exactly what causes great polyp extension. I keep my tanks clean and I always have polyp extension, but some tanks have insane polyp extension...... Every acro looks like a fuzzy chips acro :)

Some observations

More polyps
- Bacteria dosed tanks have better polyp extension (also when I dose bacteria)
- Established tanks have better polyp extension
- Low nutrient tanks with a high bio-load have better polyp extension
- Some zeovit tanks have the best polyp extension that I have seen.

Less polyps
- Starved reefs, reefs with little fish and feeding, have poor polyp extension
- Reefs with high phosphates, very poor extension, poor color
- Picking fish, such as angels and certain gobys.... poor extension
- pests such as acro flatworms and red bugs reduce polyp extension.

If I had to take a guess, I would say having a highly fed reef that has been established for a while, while maintain an Low nutrient environment, will get you the best polyp extension and color. Easier said than done!

Good luck :)

Last edited:

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Tony ill give u my 2 cents. I have the same question as you and the only logical thing I could come up with is this. It's true when you see them at the store they r all out extended but they have their corals a lot of time under led lights with no intensity, corals extend more at night looking for food. Second they have no fish in the same tank that they would be feeding that could also feed the corals so their corals are always hungry. Your tank or my tank is being fed everyday and I think corals are eating all the time corals don't need to extend there tentacles to be happy. If the colors are good then the coral is happy. Take a scoly or a acan they extend their tentacles only to eat. That's my theory lol

Joe,

I couldn't disagree more!!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: