jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The only reason why I have frags now is just to ensure survival incase I accidentally kill it. If I let it grow larger, I will have more frags to offer, more often. I'll remember you Kat and Adam when the time comes.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
It's been a while since I updated. This coral is growing and color is maintaining. I am ahead of where I thought I would be at this point. I have 5 frags out to local SPS tanks (friends tanks). Color is maintaing in other systems. I'm going to start growing frags at different heights through my reef to see how it responds.

I didn't forget anyone interested but keep in mind the list was long before I even posted a thread. :)

Here is an example of one of the frags and an updated colony shot. Pics taken with an iPhone 5 through a top down. No color enhancing!
IMG_0655 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

colony
IMG_0658 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Aiyayiyai. It's a heart.

Oh :wink1::screama:

Beautiful Rich do you happen to know what par is falling on it?
Just curious but congrats on your success ;)

Thanks Mike. It's getting 500 par currently. This coral is holding color under T5 only lighting as well. I know tenuis can get red highlights when you bake them, I've done this in the past. This coral has green polyps though. It seems to be a different strand.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks. Lately this coral has been giving me problem maintaing the red color. 1/2 the colony has nice red coralites, and the other half doesn't. It has grown very large though. The colony is about 7" and very branched. 9 local guys have this frag and so far no on has been able to keep color. This coral is showing a hint of red in Kres's tank, so maybe he will be the first.
Sweetelmaiden, thanks. I have a lot of guys waiting for this piece. I don't want to turn this thread into a F/S thread and have it deleted. This is more about the coral. I'm trying to figure out exactly what triggers the red coloration, because it's more than the lighting.

Here are pics from 3 weeks ago. I can't get the whole colony in a photo anymore because of its size.
IMG_0431 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
IMG_0429 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
IMG_0428 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Rob, pics man, pic!!!! :) Absolutely has something to do with nutrients. I had this coral in my old tank under the same lighting and never got this color.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: