finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Kenny your system is one of the "exceptions" in my mind. I don't know what to attribute it to. You were high in nutrients, and you had and aged system, but you also had 5 kessils over a 75g. No question your results are awesome.

Good memory and observation Richie. Main reason I went with Kessils (and orphik's DIF pedants 100w but gave it up cos it was too big) were due to the nature of single point light source. If you have gone underwater diving or snorkeling at the tropics, and as you look up, you only see the sun. That's the type of light source these single point lights are trying to imitate.

My tank was indeed high in nutrient (input), but also high in nutrient export (4ft long fuge and a 300g-rated skimmer). I believe in the long run it's the same as a tank with low nutrient input but also low nutrient export. I believe the key is balance: nutrient input = nutrient export. As long as those two items on both sides are the same, doesn't matter what lights or skimmer you have. That's something we all have to dial in with time.

I think we focus a lot more on gadgetry in the hobby than water chemistry. I've seen a guy named Mike in LI (he lost his tank during Sandy) who was running old school T12 with high kelvin and his SPS was as colorful as someone with 20k Radium MH. He had the bluest oregon tort I've seen and we all know they need intense light to stay that blue.

Goes to show at the end, light is light (I think Sanjay once said that). And it's been long said that SPS can adjust to a wide range of light intensity.

Here's a picture of me diving in ~100ft of water. You can tell the corals extend way below that. None of the shots have been altered except to be resized.

Here's a picture of me diving in ~60ft of water. Acros strewn the bottom and beyond.

And for comparison, here's me snorkeling in less than 10ft of water using the same camera to give a sense of light penetration difference. The deeper shots had more blue as other spectrums get absorbed as you go deeper. I should also mention that I didn't see maxima clams or anemone occur beyond 30ft of water. And the maximas only occur on rocks, not sand. That should tell us something about where we should place our maximas.

There were also acros in 5ft of water as well. Goes to show how they adapt to a wide range of light intensity in the wild. And it is imo that LED works just as well as MH, T5, even T12 and other lights you can think of, as long as your water chemistry is good and stable.

QueensRob

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Here is my growth progress photos of my sps under led. I started with diy then switched to hydra 52 where I found the best coloration but little slower growth but now I am testing the radions and find the growth is crazy but color is not the best. The pics are a little less than 2 months.

Attachments

• 20140330_164705.jpg
    20140330_164705.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 612
  • 20140703_083901.jpg
    20140703_083901.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 638
  • 20140328_200549.jpg
    20140328_200549.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 574
  • 20140703_083855.jpg
    20140703_083855.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 604

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Interesting Kenny. Thanks for the reply. Funny because the oregon tort in my tank was from MGNY before the hurricane. His tank was awesome under VHO and he eventually switched to t5 (tank was still awesome). I'd love to see him back in the hobby.

I agree with you on most points but I think it's a bit more complicated than good stable water chemistry.

With your new store I believe you have kessils over everything? In your newer cleaner systems, with less organic waste and less of a bacterial population, I'm curious to see how SPS in particular respond. I think there definitely is a common trend that higher nutrient LED tanks have better SPS results. I can't remember seeing a starved looking pastel zeo tank being maintained with LED?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I eventually will make the switch over to LED and it's guys like you that will help make my decision on lighting choice.

Last edited:

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Interesting Kenny. Thanks for the reply. Funny because the oregon tort in my tank was from MGNY before the hurricane. His tank was awesome under VHO and he eventually switched to t5 (tank was still awesome). I'd love to see him back in the hobby.

I agree with you on most points but I think it's a bit more complicated than good stable water chemistry.

With your new store I believe you have kessils over everything? In your newer cleaner systems, with less organic waste and less of a bacterial population, I'm curious to see how SPS in particular respond. I think there definitely is a common trend that higher nutrient LED tanks have better SPS results. I can't remember seeing a starved looking pastel zeo tank being maintained with LED?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I eventually will make the switch over to LED and it's guys like you that will help make my decision on lighting choice.

You're right Richie it's def way more complicated. I do have Kessil on all the corals from softy to SPS. As my new systems are still getting dialed in, the few tester SPS I put in them haven't been in it long enough to respond to the new environment. But my guess is that they will lose color, and then gain it back later on given the right environment.

Just on top of my head there's a few other MR members here such as Taphil (http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/145325-my-28g-nanocube-radion-led.html) and Tactics (http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/sale-trade/145165-fs-awesome-wysiwyg-fish-corals.html) that ran Radion with excellent results in keeping SPS. AFAIK neither of them used any bacteria-driven method and both had low fish biomass.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Idk I hated the mh lights.. Love t5s though.. I've seen several tanks that look amazing under LEDs.. Better than t5? No.. But it's good enough.. Like I always say.. T5s are a 10, LEDs are an 8.

But I don't want to get off topic! Tom has an amazing tank under led.. If I could take quality pix I would! Yet another led downfall! Lol

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I can now say I've tried them all and what I've found is that ive done really well and then had issues with all 3 types of lighting I'm leaning towards mh for my recent tank because I don't have 3k -4k for good LEDs to cover a 220

Also if u decide to change ur lights stick with them changing from 1 to another then back is no good!

LEDs r yielding some amazing results now but the high end fixtures r still too costly imo

But

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I agree 100% Matt.. Lights are minimal compared to husbandry.. One thing I hate about ai LEDs is that they are super strong.. I'm not joking.. My chalices only do well in shady areas.. All but my huge mummy eye colony,. (But it's still not direct light) acans as well... I'm at 70 blues 30 whites.. They are 15 inches above water on a 30 inch deep tank.. W the par metter it was more than 600, 8 inches below on these settings

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Pics. from frags , wont justify to advantage of LEDs fix. I got PAR meter, then I got the advantage to see lots of tanks, I never see a 12" colony or bigger under LEDs to look gorges, cheap Fix. like Evergrow , or cheap LEDs make more harm then help ( in special for Algae, Hair Algae etc.) the good ones , cost fortune to cover 72 " long tank (http://www.giesemann.de/427,2,LED,.html) then they keep redesign, by the end to compete to MH & T5 u spend same Watts and more money. I spend thousands of dollars , on Light Fix. (LEDs) same $ on SPS colony's, burn so many, LEDs works on some SPS but NOT in all. I buy now almost all colony's from Max. Reef (15) 12" big 10" 8" , small ones have 6" , keep it now under 400 W Radium, they look better every day, NEVER got that luxury using LEDs.lol

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
It all about $ , yes, if u got 4-6 Teszla ($ 8oo each) may work, then if u got $ for 400 w MH works (electrical bill) also. The problem w/LEDs is: cheap ones ,is hard to control, easy to burn ,easy to brown, the good ones, way to much money.

dnov99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Ok I'll add my experience. I have been running AI Vega's over my SPS dominant tank for about 18 months. I switched form a T5/MH combo for the sole reason of not wanting to run a chiller and the old MH/T5 combo made that impossible. It took a while but I am finally where I want to be with growth and color with my LED's. Let me add if there were no other factors involved I would choose MH/T5 all day. Now factoring in lack of heat, energy savings, and no need to replace costly bulbs every 9-12 months, I am very happy to be having the success with LED's. All of the pics below were grown out from small frags in approx 12-18 mos.

IMG_6181_zpsa64ca91f.jpg

IMG_5872_zps262d37b7.jpg

IMG_5860_zpsc7855c88.jpg

IMG_5851_zpsbf55ff04.jpg

IMG_5891_zpsc8a303ea.jpg

IMG_5887_zpsc47e4b8c.jpg

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Nice, but like i said b 4 , if u have to run 4-6 -8 ............19 AI LEDs i NOT really c the saving, then chiller need NO matter what, u need 78-80 F anyway or less. Is true , MH, T5 light bulbs have to b replace 9-12 months, but now i see 400W Radium bulb $ 80, ballast $ 90 , STYLOPHORA ,Birdsnest NO need much light anyway. Is just , were u want to STOP spending moneys. If u wish to buy nice and big SPS (colony) NOT easy using LEDs. If u start from frags , is dif. story.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Kenny, I've seen all of these systems online. Some nice examples of led success there. A couple not so much though :)

dnov99, very nice. Can you explain to me why it took a while to get growth and color where you wanted?

Kres, what exactly is the correct parameters? Sell all those f-ers and get the 8 bulb ati led

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: