69c236c7bab5175a2cd69ef7d2ea29f8.jpg
adfcc02f017635359b13dd0a3859574a.jpg
11310d358f4c40db9614e86f48c0a5b3.jpg

POTO

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
LED and MH/T5 to me are the same at its source - light is just light. What makes the difference is in the manufacturer's execution of making that light available to the corals. We know LED has the intensity. What it lacks is coverage. What makes MH/T5 great is the reflector that spreads the light everywhere. I'm waiting for the day when a company makes a proper reflector for LED that will work just like the reflectors for MH and T5. A MH fixture without reflector is just like an LED pendant.

I'm not particularly inclined to any particular light. I'm a fan of using a light that fits my need. I use both LED and MH for my acros. On my narrow display tank, I run LED. On my 4'x4' grow tray, I MH with a good reflector for coverage.

FWIW, current display under LED:
20045885598_4b38cfafdb_z.jpg

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I cant prove you wrong I agree with you they do suck big time for sps only tanks. They work for lps and softies. If you tank is sps you either have to fill every crevice in your open top with led or deal with the shadowing and then bleaching dying effect that comes next. I tried for three years with leds but sos either dont like the light, won't grow, bleach or brown out. Some sps are ok with it but most aren't. When you see led lit reefs keep an eye on what species they have. You notice they are all the similar ones that will adapt to the led and all if not most will not have certain varieties because they cant keep them unless they really have other suplimentation. Im now going back to my old 400 watt mh 20 radiums and using my leds as dawn dusk suplimentation. Glad I didnt sell them and not worth selling the leds, ill lose to much and you never know. Mabe one day they will perfect them and ill just do the uograde program but until then it the tried and true MH.
Btw I lost more coral then electricity saved in these fixtures so dont think your really saving anything.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
LED and MH/T5 to me are the same at its source - light is just light. What makes the difference is in the manufacturer's execution of making that light available to the corals. We know LED has the intensity. What it lacks is coverage. What makes MH/T5 great is the reflector that spreads the light everywhere. I'm waiting for the day when a company makes a proper reflector for LED that will work just like the reflectors for MH and T5. A MH fixture without reflector is just like an LED pendant.

I'm not particularly inclined to any particular light. I'm a fan of using a light that fits my need. I use both LED and MH for my acros. On my narrow display tank, I run LED. On my 4'x4' grow tray, I MH with a good reflector for coverage.

FWIW, current display under LED:
20045885598_4b38cfafdb_z.jpg

And what has been your results on your current system before and after switching from LED to Halide? I realize you had success in your old SPS system with all LED, but this current system initially gave you problems. Why do you think that is?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The one common thing with all LED SPS success that I have seen, is that they require a mature system for real success. I'm guessing that the added nutrient from an organic storing aged reef, allows the SPS to have a higher population of zoox, and handle the more focused LED better.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Bklynreef I keep every species of acropora and have 4 AI pendants over my 180. I have no idea what your talking about :)
You may be the minority having success with leds but the vast majority would have an easier and be more successful with t5 or mh. Your may be doing well because you have an established system dealing with sps for a while so mabe they took to the change but most dont. I didnt have cheap leds either I have the top of line ones and for 3 years. They only did good at a 20k spectrum but there was shadowing and not all the sps liked them. Plus I hated that the tank was always so dark.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Did you adjust your sps to the light by keeping them on a frag rack and slowly over a few weeks raise them to you noticed that the specific acro
Was happy? I've been doing it like this for a very long time and seems
Like this is what needs to be done. I actually just got 2
JF pieces but had other acros adjusted already at a certain height and didn't want to start over so just placed them at the same level.
The JF frags were not happy and it's been a
Month and still not happy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: