xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
So a few of my sps is stning and I have no clue I will post my par. and some of my equipment maybe someone can guide me in the correct direction to fix this problem

Cal 440
Alk 8.2
mag 1425
PH 8.2
temp 76-79 (goes up and down but controlled with heater and chiller)
PO4 0.05
NO3 0-2 (cant tell looks like 0 on the Salifert test kit)
Potassium 400
Salinity 1.025

I am running a cal reactor and I test everything with Salifert or hanna test kits. I control my tank with an apex and my reactor with a aquarium plants electronic solenoid. Please feel free to ask questions and I will answer them to the best of my abilities. Thank you in advance for any help. The sps is stning from the base up on some corals and on others just in the middle but nothing on the tips. I also do not run GFO or Carbon. I do i-weekly water changes and use an ARID Chaeto reactor.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Lbj temps can swing that not a majoR issue to cause STN/RTN. Temps in the oceans swing a lot and quickly they do not stay constant like other parameters. Xclusive check your alk everyday for swings if everything seems on point and you have filter socks try removing them for a few weeks and see if anything changes.

xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
LBJ the temp swings in all tanks thats why we have a chiller and heater. If we set our chiller to turn on at say 79 deg and off at 78 deg our chiller would be on all day in most ppls houses thats why most ppl have it set up to go on and off at temps like 79-82.

Duke I truly didnt think of the filter socks as a issue but makes sense and I will do that as soon as I send this post

David I am using esv salt and how do I test my Boron ???

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
for all us that have had SPS for many years know that losing a piece here and there from STNing or RTNing just happens for unknown reasons, gone crazy trying to figure it out, but when a few pieces which were all growing and thriving are effected, which sounds like your case then it's probably a water quality issue....most SPS can handle a 5* swing in water temp in a 24hr period so I dont' think thats the issue.. as far as minor elements such as Boran etc..I have never tested for those, but Strontium could be a factor in growth and color, but not STNing..besides most of those elements are replemished in a W/C and from my readings aren't depleted that quickly anyway... I do know many who started switching back from ESV after using it for many months and things got better...coincidence maybe...just a guess that it could be something in it that accumulates over a period of time thats effects SPS. I would like to hear from those who have been using it for over a year. For me it's usually an ALK swing up or down that causes problems even by just alittle can effect some the less hardy SPS.

xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
I won the Triton test at the swap and shipped a sample out to them last week so by Friday I should have results and we will see all of the factors and maybe help pinpoint my problem and maybe anyone else who might be going threw the same problems

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I have no chiller just a fan, heater and apex. Temp never swings more than .5 degrees from 79-79.5.

Not saying this is the cause, but stability always helps me when things don't look good in tank.

Try setting chiller to come on at 80 or 81 and heater at 79 u shouldn't have any problem doing so. Just my 2c.

Post your triton results im curious to see :)

I doubt it highly that the temperature swing is to blame..all tissue loss is usually an alkalinilty swing.how long ago did you setup the calcium reactor?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Do you have a tank thread? We really need EVERY detail about your system to maybe give a solution. A few pics are also a must.

What is your lighting?

Are the corals that show base recession mostly near the bottom, top, or random areas of the tank.

Besides obvious reasons such as large swings, possible GFO overdose, parameters out of whack, there is a balance between lighting and nutrient level that can lead to base recession IME.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
two things come to mind when I read about your situation.
First; I think 76 on the low end is a bit too low for sps try to not let it go below 78
second; have you tested the output of the calcium reactor? what readings are you getting from it (PH,kh,alk), and how often are you tweaking the flow from it?, or are you just working with bubble count control?
Jim C.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
really always?

greenstreet.1

I don't know you, or your tank set up, and I'm not being sarcastic with this comment, but, do you have a bunch of SPS in your tank? In my opinion and experience really feel its on the low side

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418594167.540325.jpg

What makes you say it's on the low side ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: