Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Good day to all my tank is driving me crazy lately my tank has begun a standstill and some of my corals are starting to bleach out and is driving me mad i need some advice i do my water changes every two weeks and my levels are steady i will list all my parameters below please guys any advice will help also i have a green birds nest that is just white but the pylops are fully extended but not growth so here are my parameters and what I'm dosing and how much

ALK - 7.8 - 8.0
CA - 470
MAG - 1400
PO4 - 0.04 ( Hanna Test Kit )
NO3 - 0.5 ( Salifert test kit )
AMMONIA - 0
NITRITES - 0
PH - 8.08
SALINITY - 1.026

Dosing

B-Balance 2ml per day ( Korallen Zutch )
Zero spur 2 10ml every 9 days

Lighting : 5 AI Vegas approx 8 inches from surface of water
Tank : 220gal

I'm currently using Reef crystals salt changed from Coral Pro i can't find anything else wrong in the tank so i need help guys i run Bio Pellets and have been since the start of the tank i also run GFO also since the tank start up all fish are fine no one picking on corals and no major changes to tank other than salt change but that was over two months ago

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Agreed with Duke, stop the spur, I would stop the b-balance also.
Spur works by reducing the amount of zoox in a coral. If your corals are fading or bleaching you don't want further zoox reduction.
Biopellets+GFO+Zeo spur+LED Lighting is something you may want to reconsider for long term success. Very hard to balance all of these to control nutrients and not strip or overdose the system.
Since you have bleaching problems my corrective measure would be to lower lighting intensity, start dosing an amino, and remove GFO. You want corals to regain zoox and become healthy again, then worry about getting optimal colors.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Agreed with Duke, stop the spur, I would stop the b-balance also.
Spur works by reducing the amount of zoox in a coral. If your corals are fading or bleaching you don't want further zoox reduction.
Biopellets+GFO+Zeo spur+LED Lighting is something you may want to reconsider for long term success. Very hard to balance all of these to control nutrients and not strip or overdose the system.
Since you have bleaching problems my corrective measure would be to lower lighting intensity, start dosing an amino, and remove GFO. You want corals to regain zoox and become healthy again, then worry about getting optimal colors.

i will stop the b-balance and spur the lighting has been the same from the start of the tank setup and which aminos would you suggest i currently have two bottles of Kent Marine Essential Elements will this help

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I would try Acropower. Minerals are not going to help your SPS regain zoox. I would definitely stop GFO at the moment with bleached SPS. A little higher po4 will only help right now.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would try Acropower. Minerals are not going to help your SPS regain zoox. I would definitely stop GFO at the moment with bleached SPS. A little higher po4 will only help right now.

if i can't find that one do you suggest another one I'm going to the store right now and i will stop the GFO a friend of mine just told me he use FUEL by Aquavitro which is made by sachem

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I heard good things about fuel. That would be a good alternative I think. Any added nutrient right now will help. keep us posted on your progress. If you have any pics please post, we could all learn from it. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
will do no pics sorry my iPhone doesn't take good pics on my tank everything just comes the same color lol but will update you on the progress good or bad just dosed it today looks like I'm gonna need to buy a lot of this stuff as i need 56ml per dosing thats about 6 doses per bottle SMH lol

i also checked my levels again this morning listed them below

ALK - 8.0 i think i wanna raise this just a little bit
Mag - Above 1450 but i know this willpower as the coral start to grow again i do not dose this
Ca - 480 steady at this level
Po4 - 11ppm ( Hanna meter ) But with the Salifert it reads 0.0ppm but the Hanna is supposed to be more accurate
No3 - 0.0ppm Salifert test kit ( does anyone know about any other good No3 test kits ) I've ran the test a couple of times just to make sure and each time it comes back the same so I'm guessing its right but have nothing else to compare it to

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
hey guys so here is a update on the tank it seems like the coral is trying to make a come back I've been dosing FUEL from aquivitro still bleached but seems like it has stopped pylop extension is off and on I'm using one coral in particular that used to have its pylops opened all the time now it does it at random times also my orange monti is very light orange hoping that it will start to color back up its been about a week since i started doing aminos I've heard great things about Fuel I'm hoping that it will work just a question to the group has anyone had bad results with there coral using Reef Crystals salt just wondering if maybe that was the problem cause i had to switch from coral pro to that one due to cost

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
just curious if there are any updates? is your No3 still at 0? I am trying to learn about nutrient balance and am curious to see how this worked out. I had too low of nutrients in my tank and im dosing acropower for aprox 2 weeks now. It seems like i have some improvement. I am also raising my no3 levels as they were at 0.

mrdobie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reef crystal for years. then I started getting a brown sludge in my mixing barrel and algae problem in tank. changed to tropical marine (recommended by Kevin at pet warehouse)and sludge went away. algae in reef tank is an on going thing. but not using UV filter and algae is now controlled by cleanup crew and fish. cleanup crew and fish are the same as before changing salt mix. imo salt was big part of problem for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: