JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought we could start some discussion topics and kick it off with an easy one, maintenance.

Maintenance I think should be thought of as more than just when you do a water change or change out your light bulbs but also cleaning and observing as well.

Here are some thoughts.

So a little disclaimer, none of these things I am telling you are set in stone. I think if you are really paying attention and you notice something is out of sorts, or that something works better for you, buy all means do it. This is meant more for people who need to get a handle on these aspects of reef keeping, more than to change your ways if you are already doing something that you are successful with.

Lighting
If you are still using T5 and MH.
Change out MH once a year
Change out T5 every 10 months.
LED when they stop working? :D

Regardless of what lighting you are doing, pay attention to the glass, or whatever is being used to shield your lights and clean them of salt splashes that get on it from time to time. Same goes for the reflectors, they should be as clean as possible. I look at them once a week and clean them as necessary.

Detritus in the sump
Siphon it out when you do a water change, you don't have to do it every week, but maybe at least every 4-6 weeks.

Cleaning filter socks
When I use them, I change them out when they clog.

Water Changes
I am a big fan of water changes. I think water changes are probably the cheapest way to keep your tank in good shape. If I have the time I would do them every week, but I try to do it at least every two weeks.

Blowing off the rocks
An hour or two before you do a water change blow off all the rocks with a turkey baster.

RO/DI
This sort of depends how much makeup water you go through. I change out the sediment filter every 4-6 weeks, the DI filter every 4 months and the carbon filter ever 6 months. The RO filter generally last me 2-3 year before I need to replace it.

GFO
I don't leave it in the tank for more than a month.

Carbon
Carbon is really only effective for a few days to a week. Lots of people change it out monthly, I don't think it is harmful to leave it in the system long term, but it is not very effective anymore.

Skimmer.
Clean the skimmer every week. The skimmer is less effective after 5-7 days.

Cleaning the glass
Way back in 2004 I wrote about how long can you go without cleaning the front of your glass before you can notice it being dirty? I had written that I used to be able to go only 3-4 days and then it really needed to be cleaned. After I got more aggressive on my water quality, I could easily go 7 days without cleaning my glass and you could hardly even notice any buildup on the glass when I did clean it, which was once a week.

I think that you should be able to go 5-7 days before having to clean the glass. I still think it is one of the best indicators of a good tank that has low dissolved organics and doesn't have nutrient problems.

Lastly salt creep.
Get rid of salt creep when you see it building up on parts. Lots of time it gets on the top of the tank around plumbing parts that enter the water. Leaving it can cause a few problems. A chunk of salt can fall in the tank and land on a coral burning it while it dissolves. Salt creep that has dried and been in the open can get dirt and other nasty stuff on it over time, when that eventually falls into the tank all that junk just went into the tank water as well. So get rid of salt creep when you can.

So those are the basics that I can think of right now, what did I, and miss what are you doing that has really helped to keep your tank in good shape?

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Sticky this! Great stuff JBNY

I would also add:

Disassemble and clean your pumps and power heads regularly. This includes but is not limited to:

In tank power heads, Vortech wet sides, etc
Skimmer pump
Return pump
Reactor pumps etc

Soaking them in vinegar is the key as well.

I guess this is true for all tanks, but as SPS like stability and preventative maintenance avoids surprise issues so... yeah. I clean my powerheads at worst every other month and the return and skimmer pumps quarterly-ish.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, how did I forget about cleaning pumps and heaters? Oh yeah, because it is the one thing that I am the worst at. I am constantly forgetting to do this piece of maintenance myself. If there is a longest time you can go before cleaning them, ask me because I always push this off, I just forget!

I have an empty salt bucket that has about 2 gallons on vinegar in it that I keep on hands at all time, the lid is on tightly and it is just in storage. Whenever I need to clean a power head or something I pull it out and throw the pump in there over night and in the morning take it out and clean it off in the sink with a nylon brush and after is looks nice and clean put it back in service.

Good Catch!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hey you can't remember everything :)

That's a good idea with the standing vinegar. I usually have to run across the street to Duane Reade when I'm in a cleaning stuff kinda mood, which also results in wasting the vinegar after I've used it for a day or 2. If I had more space, storing a big sealed bucket long term would be a great idea. It's not like it loses much effectiveness as a mild acid over time in a sealed container. Very smart!

And now that you've mentioned it, I should clean my heaters this weekend. They are uh...crusty.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Every 5 days cleaning the glass would concern me. If I don't see some type of algae on my glass in 2 days I get concerned of low nutrients in my tank. As for gfo sometimes my system can go 6 to 8 weeks of not changing out the media. I won't change my gfo if my po4 is under .08. Stripping the po4 can cause more harm then good and I never use recommended amount in the tank. As long as my media is removing po4 and 1/2 of what's recommended I'm fine at that amount. I never want to be under .05 in my po4. Same goes for no3. I am using biopellets and again I don't use the recommended amount in my tank. 1/2 of what's recommended keeps my no3 where I want them between 5 and 10 works very well for me. My daily maintence is only check my alk which is the only parameter I feel is the most important to keep stable. Ro/di I do nothing with until my tds meter shows it needs to be changed which for me since I only go through about 30 to 40 gallons per week my filters don't need to be changed for a few monthS. And I clean the deitrus out of my sump every week along with my fuge

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
i try to clean my glass to once a week like fridays before the weekend but it could use a quick cleaning usually after 4 days more or less. GFO is changed as needed and i use half of what is recomended, just switch it out more often since id rather not strip the water and dump that much GFO through my system. Ill let it get to .05 but no more than .08 before i change it out which is usually every 2 weeks or so.
Carbon i try not to use if possible and only use to if i see a problem going on in the tank that needs to be addressed and ill do some massive water changes as well if that happens.
Water changes are the key to SPS IMHO. I always say you can never do to many water changes to a limit ofcorse. Ive upped my water change schedule from 20% a month to double that at 40% a month and i notice the corals are healthier and growing more with more PE ( polyp extention ) sure it costs more to do this and a little more work but lose a colony and you lost more than what a salt bucket cost you.
im also seeing good results with my alk in the 8.0 - 8.2 to the 9.0 range. I will say im a firm believer that every tanks alks numbers should be at what YOU see your tank doing well at! There is no magic number, there is a threshold but every tank is different and every tanks alk will vary according to what you have in it. Youll see people with tanks at 11. -12. alk and that works fro them, some have it at 7 and that is working for them. you have to know your tanks sweet spot for the holy trinity ( Cal Alk Mag ) and stick with it. Keeping alk stable is a major key and keeping the PO4 down is crucial but like i said some peoples tanks to well with high PO4.
Tests and numbers wont tell you the story, they will just give you a spreadsheet formula of what your number ARE. The key to SPS is that your corals will scream to you, hey im not happy, i need a water change, its too bright in here lower me, its too dark in here raise me up, ect. Then the numbers come in to play as to why and what is happening and you will understand the meaning of those numbers and adjust things slowly and accordingly.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.

I think that how quickly your glass gets dirty is a symptom of more than just nutrients in the tank, but also dissolved organics as well. I have had both systems with low nitrates, and those with no detectable nitrates and been able to get the glass to be clean for 4-5 days. Everyone has their ways of telling how there tank is doing, and cleaning the glass has seemed to become one of those sight tests that lots of people use. So I am glad that you chimed in on your experience, I know people who clean it every day and have beautiful tanks.

FWIW I do not use GFO. I put that recommendation in there because so many people do. When I did run with GFO I would only use slightly under 1/2 cup on a total of 400 gallon for the whole system.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.

I think that how quickly your glass gets dirty is a symptom of more than just nutrients in the tank, but also dissolved organics as well. I have had both systems with low nitrates, and those with no detectable nitrates and been able to get the glass to be clean for 4-5 days. Everyone has their ways of telling how there tank is doing, and cleaning the glass has seemed to become one of those sight tests that lots of people use. So I am glad that you chimed in on your experience, I know people who clean it every day and have beautiful tanks.

FWIW I do not use GFO. I put that recommendation in there because so many people do. When I did run with GFO I would only use slightly under 1/2 cup on a total of 400 gallon for the whole system.

dont forget it matters what type of GFO is being used as to how much were using.
I use about less than 3 cups of High Capacity BRS GFO, they recommend 15 cups which when i did stripped everything including the skin off my corals!
i Just ordered spectrapures GFO and see how that does for me. I might even try their carbon when i run out and see if its better.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used BRS High capacity GFO I used 1/2 cup, rowaphos I used 1/3 cup.

I think rowa is the best there is, expensive though. On my 180G tank I used 1/4 cup rowa.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I don't get it I use a ton of Gfo and still get cyano diatoms etc never have low nutrients my issue is always to much nutrients I'm using a bit more then a cup Gfo and change it every week just recently bought hc Gfo to see if I see a difference not so much yet

Also will say I've tried all types Gfo and the cheap ebay Gfo seems to be same stuff brs sells for 1/2 the price

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: