NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
it takes a little while before the pellets start to work, how much are you using ? what type of reactor ? and are the pellets tumbling ? and what skimmer you using ? and is the outlet from pellets close to inlet of the skimmer ?

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
it takes a little while before the pellets start to work, how much are you using ? what type of reactor ? and are the pellets tumbling ? and what skimmer you using ? and is the outlet from pellets close to inlet of the skimmer ?

i'm using 1000 tlf and running a super reef octopus 3000sss skimmer. I do have the outlet of my RO bp reactor directly in from on the skimmer intake. Pellets are tumbling with no problem.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Manny have you thought about a nitrate reactor? I have one but didn't set it up because I like the ARID but that turned out to be a waste of time.

Right now I am back to my daily water changes of 3 gallons a day and so lets see how that works out.

I havent thought about getting 1 as I never had this issue until I plumbed my seahorse tank to my DT. Now that I took the seahorse tank offline I should be seeing a drop in my nitrate in the up coming weeks. I dont want to tact on more equipment yet. I'll give the pellets and vodka another month or so to see if I should go another direction.

JSully526

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I dosed Vodka for months with pellets and it dropped it down but they came back up... I didnt have any luck with pellets and i ran them for 8 months!... I have used NOPOX stuff is amazing !! id dose NOPOX or vodka my nitrates were off the scale !!...I still have trouble with nitrates and have since made an algae scrubber which has dropped them some but they take time,,,, I have a mud and sand with live rock in my fuge and chaeto..

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I dosed Vodka for months with pellets and it dropped it down but they came back up... I didnt have any luck with pellets and i ran them for 8 months!... I have used NOPOX stuff is amazing !! id dose NOPOX or vodka my nitrates were off the scale !!...I still have trouble with nitrates and have since made an algae scrubber which has dropped them some but they take time,,,, I have a mud and sand with live rock in my fuge and chaeto..

What do you think happen that made it go up since vodka/ pellet was doing its job?

JSully526

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pellets weren't working at all i think that is why i started vodka. I only feed them once a day and its not a lot of food I think I need more cleaner crew ive lost a lot of my snails... but i was doing 1ml of vodka a day and that kicked it down I just bought a dosing pump so I may start dosing vodka with it also... I know my Zoas loved it lol ..

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
For what its worth
I added a scrubber, added a vial bio digest and kept vodka at 10ml per day

It been a month or so nitrates went from rich pink to barely noticeable color in the vial bio digest

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
200g tank
10ml vodka daily
Bio digest vial, suppose to be 1 vial every two weeks
Algae scrubber which began growing algae immediately

Like i said, color is so light now on nitrate test that i may dial back vodka to 8ml

JSully526

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
200g tank
10ml vodka daily
Bio digest vial, suppose to be 1 vial every two weeks
Algae scrubber which began growing algae immediately

Like i said, color is so light now on nitrate test that i may dial back vodka to 8ml

I made my own scrubber and started 1st week with algae on it using red/blue LED bulb.. Just bought a dosing pump for C-Balance and I think im going back to Vodka :thrash: ( for tank) this week!! than I can add more coral !!

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Very close to having an issue
This is vodka, probidio bio digest and 2 algae scrubbers
But the scrubbers are too new
I am leaning towards vodka and bio digest took nitrates from rich pink to this in a month i think
uploadfromtaptalk1448720851177.jpg

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
My issue is that i dont dose as much in years past due to the stripping effects
I kept it in a maintenance dose for a year which crease low phos issues but pink nitrate results

Have to figure out how to balance this soon to be too low issue

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
the question is were you having problems before you hooked the seahorse tank you your dt or did they start after , if that was the culprit than you should be ok since you took it off line, just do some hefty water changes and keep an eye on it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: