• Moderated by: Joe Burger
    Joe Burger's (aka JBNY) occupational life has absolutely nothing to do with the reefing world. He is solely a hobbyist, who loves the amazing world of aquaria and those awesome, but sometimes frustrating, corals we call SPS. Joe has been keeping aquariums since the 2nd grade so...he's been intrigued by them for quite some time. In 2000, he started keeping reef tanks, focusing mostly on SPS. His tanks have been featured on web sites, in forums, magazines, and books. He has been sharing his experiences and helping fellow SPS hobbyists for the last 15 years, whether it is by writing articles, participating in speaking engagements, or being an active presence in the online communities.

Best K* temps

TaigC94

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ive recently got into SPS and had my full spectrum led over them. My chips in the lamp blew so I'm looking at lights. My question is what is the best K* temps for sps? My peak now is 10000k. Ive read on some forms that its enough. Some say go for 12000-14000k. I also have zoanthids and a few LPS in there. Tank is 24inches high with the light another 12 inches above

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Are you referring to just white led chips or the appearance of the mix? Generally lower K ratings are better as they cover more of the red thus why red leds are not really needed. 4500-6000K. Generally though US hobbyists prefer the 14-16K 'look'. You just have to make sure are covering all the peaks needed.

TaigC94

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yes my main question was the white chips. I've been researching non stop but can't find a common temp. I see one set with 6x 3500k 6x 7500k and 8x 12000k. Then the other red blue green. The other set is 18x 12000k and 6x 6500k but also has uv chips. I don't know which would be better

Featured Sponsors