AlexS!

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my tank is finnaly ready for SPS. Here in Nashville we only have one LFS (Aquatic Critter) which has served me well, but they currently have a disease, and never have any sps. I HAFTA order these online. I'll give you a list of the one's I'm looking for. Dr. Mac was my choice, but he doesn't offer his like 6 for $$$ or 20 for $$$ anymore so I don't want to pay $25 for 1 frag. ExoticFish is really good prices, but they are wild! Then FFE is the 1 online retailer I've liked, and they have WYSIWYG, but it's such a poor selection. I don't expect to get all of these, but I have a 150 and it is a perfect SPS set-up! Now I just actually need the SPS!

Cactus Pavona
Elephant Skin
Green Merulina
Pink Birds Nest
Helipora (Blue Ridge)
Disticophora (Lace Coral)
Fire Coral (Millepora)
Pink Stylophora
Yellow Turbinaria
Yellow Porites
Pink Pocillipora
Green Hydnophora
Green Montipora
Purple Montipora
Pink Montipora
Montipora Capricornis
Acropora Micrphthalma
Acropora Millepora
Table Acropora
Psammocora Contigua

Gatortailale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN ON MAC's HOME PAGE TO FIND HIS SPECIALS!!!

"Monthly Specials!!
March 2002 Specials: ALL NEW SPECIALS!!! GREAT PRICES WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!
---------------------
SUPER SPECIAL ON ORDERS SHIPPED MARCH 27, 28,AND 29, 20% OFF TOP PICK COLONY ORDERS OVER $500, 15% OFF TOP PICK COLONY ORDERS OVER $300-$500, 10% OFF TOP PICK COLONY ORDERS $150-$300 (Must request discount when ordering).
--------------------
Great Clean Up Critter Packages, check out our Inverts Page for these great packages and other odd critters and pest control animals!!

--------------------
NEW FRAG SPECIALS March, 2002:

Our Famous "Dr. Mac Pick" FRAG SPECIAL: Assorted Acropora and other SPS Frags, 6 for $100 (fit in small box,$10), or 14 for $200 (fit in Large box, $16).

SUPER SPECIAL: Table Acropora frags assorted colors, "Dr. Mac Pick", 5 for $98. Check out photos of our Table Acropora frags on the Table Frags page. NEW Table Acropora frags, 1.5"-2.5" $30 each or 5 assorted "Dr. Mac Pick" for $98
Green
Blue-tip
Green-tip
Pink/Pink-tip

$50 each
Bright Blue-tip"

NOTE: This is a cut and paste, If a price is different that what it says on Mac's page, obviously his price rules. I'm just showing you as example what the specials are.
icon_wink.gif

ALSO: Can't remember how far Knoxville is from you, but esmithi just started a reef club there. I'm sure some of those folks might trade you some frags, or supply you with some.

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: Gatortailale ]</p>

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts...

One- check the sponsors page. Atlantis Aquatics quite readily comes to mind when captive-raised corals are mentioned.

Two- when in doubt, do a search on the board. Your question has quite likely been covered many times before.

Three- you may wish to reconsider some of the corals on your list, like Helipora (Blue Ridge),
Disticophora (Lace Coral), and Fire Coral (Millepora).

Gatortailale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the chucker response reminded me that "specials" will no longer be listed on the sponsors page. You have to check the vendor/sponsor's home page for any specials they have.

Bubafat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fire coral is worse then xenia...Grows just as fast but will totally destroy anything it touches and stings like a beeyatch if you touch it.

Btw...stay away from garf...their package deals may look good, but do a search on this board or reefcentral to find some good links...just make sure you devote about 5 hours to it and a big bottle of wine.

Buba

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three- you may wish to reconsider some of the corals on your list, like Helipora (Blue Ridge),

Helipora should be fine. I agree about not including distichopora (impossible to keep) and millepora (aggressive, fast growing and apt to kill SPS it overgrows), but why not helipora?

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it will work this time. New server.

I would give John a try at www.lonestarcorals.com

Happened to be in San Antonio a few weeks ago and checked him out. Very nice operation to sat the least and had some awsome SPS.

Barry

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cjdevito:
<strong>Three- you may wish to reconsider some of the corals on your list, like Helipora (Blue Ridge),

Helipora should be fine. I agree about not including distichopora (impossible to keep) and millepora (aggressive, fast growing and apt to kill SPS it overgrows), but why not helipora?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Charles, simply for the fact that many people expect to see the blue color as it is growing, and may be unhappy with it when they don't see much color at all on the outside of the living critter.

AlexS!

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree as far as Millepora and Sticheopora. I had captive raised millepora that was great, didn't cause any problems. Heliopora can be drab when growing. I have narrowed it down to 3-4 retailers:
Rods Reef
Atlantis
Lonestar
Dr. Mac
Anyone have any personal expirences with these guys?

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my order from Dr. Mac a few days ago. The premium frags are beautiful. Yes, they were a little pricey, but they are aquacultured, healthy and BIG. Service was sooooo good that he called me to see if they had arrived OK. I ordered the 4 premium for $165 and an additional Blue Acoropora (what a beautiful BLUE!). After acclimation (and the recommended iodine dip) they have settled in beautifully. I would order again in a heartbeat.
icon_biggrin.gif

HTH,
Sea Serpent

EEreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AlexS:
<strong>Ok, so my tank is finnaly ready for SPS...... I don't expect to get all of these, but I have a 150 and it is a perfect SPS set-up!</strong><hr></blockquote>

How long did it take you to get this "perfect SPS" tank going?
icon_redface.gif
Looking at your setup on your web site, I'd say only try the lower light requiring corals in the bunch, then get them right up under those 175W MHs. I'd also put the third MH back in there. A 175W bulb isn't going to melt your center brace unless it within 4" or so.
On the supplier side I've had great luck with both Dr. Mac and Lone Star. JME.

AlexS!

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropicorium does look good! My tank is SOO different from the website; to lazy to change it! Also, I e-mailed you Sue! I know Dr. Mac is good!
-Alexz

ADS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg Hiller definately deserves recognition as a premier captive propagator. His corals are also the largest for the $. IMO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: