monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theringnebula: Nope, we're still aging the tanks, we only have a few pieces of accidentally imported montipora and acropora that doensn't look too happy in there at the second. Hopefully in a few months!

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ckeadle:
<STRONG>where is the best place to get the euroreef skimmers?

Does it matter where the water outlet is in the sump? My reefdevil does not perform well unless the water level in the sump is very constant.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do not have the reef devil elevated, then that will be a problem. Try raising it so the output is above the sump water level. The other thing you could do is put a float switch in your sump connected to an auto-top off and have a constant water level. HTH

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: myreef ]

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
My reefdevil does not perform well unless the water level in the sump is very constant.

Euroreef reccomends a constant level in your sump for better performance. I would look into float switch and dosing pump. I found my Reef devil 2 ran the same (crappy) no matter what the sump level was.

I got my Euroreef CS6-3 from Reeffanatic....

Iron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euroreefs are good I won't debate that but the issue would be are you always going to use your skimmer in sump? And you can only use sedra pumps. Which I don't like. They maybe the best pumps made but I had 2 fail. If you don't have your skimmer in sump then you want an auto shutoff waste collector. IME I seen an euroreef 8" 30" tall next to an areofoamer.same size. The aerofoamer was alot better IMO.Maybe the bigger pump but the bubbles were thicker and finer. But the main reason for me was I didn't want my skimmer insump. I plan on turning my 50g sump into a large refugium and just keeping the skimmer online and running it only a few days a week and when I'm on vaca. So IMO any skimmer can be the best. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the skimmer wars.

Too bad Aquamedic does such a poor marketing job in the States. You guys would be eating the bigger TF's up like there was no tomorrow.
You don't know what you're missing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Mitch

ckeadle

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is the best place to get the euroreef skimmers?

Does it matter where the water outlet is in the sump? My reefdevil does not perform well unless the water level in the sump is very constant.

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, what do you suggest the T5000?
that thing is too expensive and too big.
As for the T1000, well, it will do for a 60-75 gallon tank at best.

Euroreef? good skimmer, but the fact that the pump is custom and if it breaks it costs over $270 to replace itwould make me think more than 10 times before i bought it. And if something breaks and you want a replacement part expect to wait a couple of months until they ship it. It skimms good tho.

Becket style skimmers like the Precision Marine bullet series require a big ass pump. These pumps are expensive and they draw a lot of juice. you will be paying more in the long run in your electric bill.
I gotta say, thought, those bullets work great, and they have excellent craftmanship.

AquaC EV, now these pumps skimms just as good as the above mentioned skimmers and some would say even better. They use small and cheap pumps. An EV180 is powered by a mag 7. How can you beat that, awesome skimmers, small pump and nice customer support.

ps. I do not work AquaC
icon_smile.gif
i just like their stuff cause it works good.

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are the first person i have herd of having a problem with their pump. i love my euro-reef skimmer and have never hqad a problem with it and it is a silent as thay come. imo thay are the best

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not saying that i had a problem, just stating that if it ever needs to be replaced it will cost you an arm and a leg just for the pump, and also expect to wait a couple of months until they send it.

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far are you from providence monkeyboy? I have both an aqua-c EV-200 running as well as a bullet 3 if you want to see both types in action and make an informed decision before you order one. Ev-200 is running about 150 gallons of water, the blt3 around 300.

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is from euro-reefs web site

ERKSP3500-C Modified SEDRA KSP3500 Skimmer Pump Complete $274.98
ERKSP5000-C Modified SEDRA KSP5000 Skimmer Pump Complete $299.98

and you can only buy that pump from them. i know its ridiculous, but thats what it is.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that needs a reliable method for keeping sump water at a constant level, I recommend the NURCE. No pumps and no equipment to fail. I've used one for over 2 years and it has never failed. Keeps the sump water at the exact same level all the time.
http://www.aqualan.to/

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<<Since you have them both running, what do you think about their performances?
Also keep in mind the BL3 costs about $150 more bucks than the EV-240 (pump included in both skimmers)
>>

I haven't ran an EV-240, but the Bullet 2 easily outperforms the ev-200 when running with a sedra-12000, even better on something like a mak-4. Aqua-c makes nothing that can compare with either the bullet 2 or 3 on performance. Bullet 2 with sedra 12000 isn't that much more expensive than a EV 200 or 240, and if you look at the pump recommended on the ev-240, it's the mag 12 or dolphin 1200.. the dolphin 1200 is a sedra 12000 in a box with a dolphin sticker on it. Construction quality of the bullets is far and away better than the aqua-c.. there is NO comparison there.

FWIW.. those prices on sedra pumps are rediculous.. there are several sources for sedra pumps besides euroreef, and from what I've heard from talking to people, the skimmers work as well or better with a standard sedra impeller vs. the special euro impeller which tends to break and takes a couple months to order.

wnfaknd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add a little bit more info
icon_biggrin.gif

The bullet 2 is 24" tall and the EV240 is 26" while the bullet 3 is a whooping 32".
Always keep height in mind if this will be a in sump skimmer.

Also on the bullet series if the Becket air intake ever clogs you will have a really hard time getting it cleaned up again.

About the euroreefs,

ERIMPKITKSP3500 Complete Impeller Assembly For Modified KSP3500** $68.98
ERIMPKITKSP5000 Complete Impeller Assembly For Modified KSP5000** $68.98

$69 bucks for just the impeller assembly and as was said earlier,they do brake rather easily.

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<<Also on the bullet series if the Becket air intake ever clogs you will have a really hard time getting it cleaned up again.

About the euroreefs,

ERIMPKITKSP3500 Complete Impeller Assembly For Modified KSP3500** $68.98
ERIMPKITKSP5000 Complete Impeller Assembly For Modified KSP5000** $68.98

$69 bucks for just the impeller assembly and as was said earlier,they do brake rather easily. >>

This is one of those debates that is never won as most people don't have the time to run every skimmer out there, and some of it is subjective.

On the becket.. that stuff about them clogging and being impossible to clean is blown way out of proportion.. it's just propaganda from other skimmer manufacturers. All you have to do is soak the thing in vinegar and backwash it.

On those impeller prices.. again, that's meaningless info that people shouldn't use as a reason to buy/not buy a euroreef. You can buy a whole new sedra pump from other sources than euroreef for around that price, and of all the sedra pumps I've ran with regular impellers, I've never broken ONE. The things come with a 2 year warranty and are UL listed.. great pumps.

What it boils down to is.. if it was *my* tank, I'd put a bullet 2 on it. If you put an aqua-c on it.. it will probably be fine. The turboflotor 1000 would be one of the last things I would consider.. the performance isn't even in the same class.

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euroreef, web site list a "replacement" pump for 149.98. I believe these pumps are for people who have a Euroreef skimmer. The 299.98 pumps are for people who want to build their own Skimmer

Replacement Pump Complete- Modified KSP3500** $119.98
Replacement Pump Complete- Modified KSP5000** $149.98

I talked to a person a few weeks ago that runs 3-4 of the 6 foot Euroreef skimmers. Those skimmers run 3-4 of the Sedra pumps per skimmer. They swap out the needle wheel for the standard impeller and the skimmers works as good or better.

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: golfish ]

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, i thought turbofloaters were pretty good! The aqua-C sounds better and better, i can get pump parts in 5 minutes if i need them. My stand is 28" high, standard all-glass height. I'm not liking the whole 2 pump concept on the 200, i think after all this debate i'll go w/ the 150 (just ordered a 24" aquafuge for macroalgae) so the skimming should be optimal. But lets keep this debate going, i opened my e-mail box today and the screen was full of "reply to post..." messages, geeze! Thanks guys!

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jeremy, this is a no win argument. If there was some magical meter that you could put on a skimmer input and output and measure it's effectiveness, and somehow at the same time control all the water paramaters going in, then you could point to good/better/best skimmers.
But you can't!
So for someone to say that because their skimmer "PULLED A TON OF CRAP" out of their system, so it "MUST BE THE BEST SKIMMER EVER", then all they're really saying is that their skimmer pulled out a ton of crap from their system. No one is to say that any other skimmer would have done differently. Even if you put a different skimmer on that same system right away and it pulled out more or less, you don't really know how the input water quality differed from the skimmer that you just took off the system.
I am disappointed that Jeremy mentioned that Turboflotors weren't even in the same class, as they have been updated with different impellers and pumps, as have many other skimmers, and he failed to mention that.
As far as mine being big and expensive, yep, it was both, but I plan on setting up an equipment room where it will handle an ever expanding system. I don't care about the size, and I'm not interested in an under-cabinet model. So - my TF5000 is right for me, and I'm happy with it. It may not be what somebody else is looking for in a skimmer.
The only skimmers that I don't like are the ones that look like anybody could have made them, if they had access to an acrylic warehouse. Straight chambers, nylon screws, bolt on a water pump and a couple of hoses and PRESTO, you have a PROTEIN SKIMMER! It makes me think that NO engineering was put into the unit, and if priced right, and it pulls out ANYTHING, then it MUST be a GREAT skimmer!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but it takes more than cheap pricing and a few passionate endorsements to sell me on anything.
In this reefkeeping hobby, I want to see evidence of a company's commitment to actually RESEARCHING all aspects of the hobby and producing a large range of quality products.
I've never regretted buying quality.......and I've got a LOT of CRAP sitting in my garage that I bought on PRICE FIRST!

Mitch

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mitch,

Well thought out post. You may have misread my comments on the turboflotor tho.. I was specifically talking about the t-1000 only as monkeyboy had talked about using them in the shop he works at.. not the larger turbos which aren't common in the states at all, good or bad. Since I have never seen one of the larger models, I can't give an opinion on them either way.
icon_smile.gif

Iron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree there isn't a best skimmer just the best for your needs. But simlar skimmers aquac and beckets I like the becket skimmers better. They use the same pumps if you get the same sized skimmer. The becket is easy to clean. If you search the bboards you will find ppl who modify there aquac for better performance and/or sold them for bullets. But IMO they are still good skimmers. A skimmer isn't a cure some ppl just blame all there bad happenings on there skimmer. Theres nice skimmerless tanks out there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: