chris_h

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing rotifers for my clownfish eggs.

I was wondering if i could feed rotifers to my sps corals in my main reef between clownfish hatches.

Would feeding them rotifers increase growth rate?

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome for your tank, not just for the SPS. It may increase the growth rates also, you'll have to experiment. Otherwise it's a great food for the little critters in the rock.

BTW you're not going to be drinking this are you? j/k
icon_wink.gif

chris_h

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you feed them at night? I am planning on adding them at night when they have their big tentacles out.

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg, do you prop any pavona sp.? That's the one sps that I think I do see capture prey but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I know they aren't very popular but it's the hardiest sps I've ever kept and I wondered if you kept them or ever had any requests for them.

Greg Hiller

Just a bum in Boston
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I also used to throw the extra rotifers into my SPS prop tanks, but I must admit, I've NEVER, EVER seen an SPS coral (Acropora, Montipora, Pocillipora, or Stylophora) capture and eat anything that I could see with my eye (rotifers and brine shrimp included).

suckair

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the exact same thing with clown fish eggs and a rotifer culture. I just got my culture running and have never tried it yet but planned on throwing them in between hatchings.

Let me know how it works

[email protected]
Randall Pallesen

Greg Hiller

Just a bum in Boston
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
>Did you feed them at night? I am planning on adding them at night when they have their big tentacles out. <

Night, day, never seemed to make a difference I could see. I'm sure there are lots of other critters in your tank that will like the treat.

>Greg, do you prop any pavona sp.?<

I have one Pavona frag, but the thing has only encrusted since I got it, it never wants to branch in my tank.

> That's the one sps that I think I do see capture prey but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I know they aren't very popular but it's the hardiest sps I've ever kept and I wondered if you kept them or ever had any requests for them. <

You might be right, I've never tried feeding the Pavona. Hydnophora I have seen eat, FWIW.

- Greg Hiller

chris_h

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them and it was fun. My purple tipped acropora, brown acropora, Stylophora pistillata, frogspawn, Lobophyllia, candy cane coral, and an anemone all eat them. And the damn cleaner shrimp acted like normal and tried to steal them from the corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: