gman2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered several sps from Flying Fish Express and would like to hear how others treat new corals when they arrive. Do you use Lugols or Tincture of Iodine or any other solution?

How much do you use and how long do you leave it in the solution?

Do you use the solution to treat one coral or multiple corals in the same solution with out replacing?

I am assuming you acclimate the sps prior to putting in the solution.

Thanks for any help
Tony

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it has flatworms or something I've never dipped. And for flatworms, a freshwater dip is all you need. (match temp and pH if possible).

Never had a need for iodine dip.

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for killing flatworms before they enter your tank dip and shake vigorously your sps/leather corals for 5-10 seconds in freshwater. Move fingers and repeat, any flatworms will usually fall off instantly.

For LPS corals gently shake for 5-10 to kill and dislodge the worms.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is already infested, I would not bother diping your corals. There will be plenty in the tank still and stressing your corals is not worth it. Typically they are not parasites to the coral. May be ugly looking, but typically not much to worry about.

Have pictures of the flatworms you have?

CraigLampe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with reefland, if you already have an infestation, this is like microalgae, you will have to buy something that will take care of flatworms, like a 6-line wrasse or some types of scooter blennies or mandarin gobies will much on flatworms...

kind of analagous to buying snails to take care of microalgae problems!!

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gman2 -
To answer your original question - I dip all of my sps corals before putting them in my tank. Seachem has a product called Reef Dip - it doesn't seem to be as caustic as lugols.
Here's what I do for new sps corals: First, I make sure that I have about 2 gallons of SW ready to replenish what I will be taking out of the tank for acclimation!
I float closed bags for 15 minutes to temperature acclimate, then add a little tank water to the bag - do this a few times. In a seperate container make a solution of Reef Dip mixed with tank water. (the directions indicate using 5 ml per gallon of tank water) - soak coral for 5 - 10 minutes (with a mild current if possible) then RINSE with tank water before putting in tank. I put each new coral in a separate container while dipping. Do not put the dip solution into the tank!

This is probably more than necessary - but these corals are a lot of money, and they have been pretty stressed from shipping. Why not treat them special?

It is also best if you can turn the lights out (or at least the MH) for a few hours, -

Good luck with your new corals - it is always exciting to get something new.
Sea Serpent

newkie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke at length with Dr Mac regarding this issue when a table from him started RTNing. He suggested tincture of iodine over Kent Tech-D. He recommended 15-18 drops per liter, add a small powerhead (important), and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Repeat a few times if you are having a problem.

I'd probably be in the camp to not bother unless there is a problem. Borneman seems to think that you'll kill beneficial bacteria and weaken the coral. So based on this I only dip as needed. And really, nothing.... nothing.. will work as well as fragging the tips of a unhealthy coral.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never dipped anything. I've never lost an sps either. Of course I don't have that many, maybe 6 or 8.

HTH

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: