AgentSPS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating about putting an anemone and clown in my SPS tank. I have seen it done in many tanks (especially large ones). I have read very little about this and have only heard that it can be a potential risk to very expensive coral specimens. A long time ago in a fish only tank I had an anemone or two and as I recall, they moved around a lot. This is a concern in a tank full of fragile and defensless corals. Now I am sure there is a difference in species (carpet vs. long tenticle) So I wanted to hear what poeples experiences are.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1706_581145
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002- ... /index.htm

One Stoned Coral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some anemones in my soft coral tank and hated it. The anemones would roam around and knock things over or sting other soft corals. If i could have glued them in place it might have been ok. My other concern was, they don't survive long in tanks.

-JB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO anemones have no place in an SPS tank. They tend to roam around and can end up stinging the SPS corals. I know some people have had luck with them. Personally I would not put one in my tank.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sebae and the lta will pretty much plant themselves and stay put in a good sand bed.

My personal choice would be the lta.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones typically wander only when not happy with their surroundings. If you are truly interested, you will need to create a niche for the specific species you are interested in and keep that area clear of other corals. All anemone species can get big (even BTAs can reach 2' in diameter) and because of that, even if they stay put, there is a chance they'll sting corals.

That said, I have 2 BTAs in my sps reef (150g) and they have never moved an inch and are both relatively small. If you are thinking of a specific type of anemone, then ask about that one's requirements and people will be willing to share....

Wade

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second most of the comments, but wouldn't get one unless you have a large tank... It's actually half the reason I'm upgrading my tanks this winter....

I have a Rose BTA and an orange one that I've had for 5 years now. I can't bear to part w/ either, and quite frankly, they've cost me well over their cost in corals and frags. The Rose took to wandering for a while, and started up again after it split last year.. I actually came home and found it on the front glass a couple days (yes, I was looking at the bottom of it's foot!). The orange one doesn't move too much now, but it's tentacles are very long and wavy (looks more like an LT anemone than a Bulb Tip). It also kills anything w/in a 12 inch radius! Literally. I've tried adjusting powerheads, changing flow, building rock sheilds... if it smells something near it, it kills it. The Rose has take to the high ground lately, and easily killed off a half-dozen frags, not to mention beat up pretty badly some of my more prized corals.
There's just not enough room in a 90 for two Anemone's and a boatload of corals. That's why I'm getting a 200 :D Regardless, I no dout will end up facing this difficulty a second time, when my 200 gets packed full, something splits, and decides to go walkabout.

If you don't have any now, and were just "thinking" about getting one, I'd say shy away. I've always been attracted to the clown/anemone thing, and have had one for 5 years... Can't stop now. But if I had the choice of getting into them all over again, I don't think I would. Just too much to lose in a twig tank, and not a damned thing you can do about it.

- Mac

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my haddoni establish itself before I added any sps. It has never moved (except generally outward as it grows), but I consider it a calculated risk.

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones only move around when they are unhappy. In case of BTA, they sometime move after they divided.
You just have to choose the species of anemone, know about this species and setup the place for them accordingly. I hve two H. magnifica each 18 inches in diameter, a BTA about 10 inches in diamete and a unknow anemone about 8 inches in diameter. I though that it was a small S. gigantea (gigantic carpet) when I got it. I do have a 400 g tank. Nove of my anemone move after I placed them into my tank. The two Magnifica did kill two large Acropora colonies as they grow, but I was able to frag these Acro. I could not move the cololonies because it was really attached to the rock structure.
FWIW, I do not think anemone is for beginner of this hobby.

Minh

AgentSPS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I certainly appreciate all the feedback on this post. Just as I suspected, this is a high risk endeavor. I too feel like a clown and anemone really completes a reef but would kill myself if it killed coral knowing that I introduced it. Even though I don't like LPS, perhaps if I can find some sort of exotic elegance ( I heard there is like a purple or blue tip species) I can add that to the tank as a more sesile option. What about a carpet anemone??? Seems like they always are on the sand and are not very agressive?

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer_Guy":2d18uvfg said:
......What about a carpet anemone??? Seems like they always are on the sand and are not very agressive?
Carpet type anemone are major fish eater. One can argues that only sick fish get eatten. This seem to be hollow when your 5 inches tang disappeared down the mouth of a Giant Carpet Anemone.
If you have Carpet type anemone, you should have clown fish since these tend to chase other fish away. Also you need to dim your ligh at night so that your fish won't get scared and disoriented when the light go out at night.

Get a Bubble Tip Anemone. This is one of the easiest to keep, stay small and is not a major fish eater.

Minh

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer_Guy":dgbi4ag0 said:
What about a carpet anemone??? Seems like they always are on the sand and are not very agressive?

Carpets are born killers! They stick like velcro and are definitely a threat to fish. I haven't had mine contact a coral but have no doubts the anemone would win.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a BTA for years and she has not moved unless I moved the rock she was attached to. When she split her "babies"(actually clones) went to certain spots and have remained as well. I keep softies(cladiella, toadstool leathers, xenia, mushrooms, star polyps, and zooanthid anemones), LPS corals(meat polyps and a cup coral), SPS corals(acropora and porites) and three BTAs and I have never had any problems with stinging or walking. However, I do believe proper coral placement is necessary to avoid disaster. I also use GAC to control any chemical attacks. This all lives in my 55 gallon tank. Who knows what I'll do when I get the 120.

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's a really old pic, but the animal about looks the same:

http://reef.myip.org/6.20.01/P6200029.JPG

It's not really a bright orange, but I can't very well call that thing green... The color's pretty accurate in the photo, too. Has split for me every spring since I got it. Oddly enough, my rose anemone, also an E. Quadricolor, splits in the fall.

- Mac

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually two types of BTA's. One that stays rather small and one that will grow larger. Mine never exceeds a few inches and rarely moves now. I feed them every other day, and I think this taxs my bioload a bit but its worth it. I got mine from SeaMac in a trade. His was splitting for him very well and mine has split twice now, hence having three.

I do think about putting one in my SPS system but feel this could really be unwise. I wouldnt like to lose any SPS. They are currently in a loaded softie/LPS tank and dont seem to bother anything else. One is nested in the branchs of my white hammer, neither the anemone or the coral seems to be upset.

HTH

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goldenboy":5um8lx6m said:
Nice bta, thanks for posting the pic Mac!!! :D

Thanks man... It had the prototypical "bulbuous tips" when I bought it from the LFS... but a few weeks after getting it home, it gradually elongated to the shape you see in the pic. Have absolutely no idea why, but all the bulb tips I see in Captivity, seem to be that way (some worse than others). I don't believe it to be related to lighting, as my anemone in particular, I've seen under VHO's, PC's, and my MH's and VHO's... and in everyone's tanks, it looks the same. Weird.... :?

- Mac

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mac":5fpqvmo9 said:
goldenboy":5fpqvmo9 said:
Nice bta, thanks for posting the pic Mac!!! :D

Thanks man... It had the prototypical "bulbuous tips" when I bought it from the LFS... but a few weeks after getting it home, it gradually elongated to the shape you see in the pic. Have absolutely no idea why, but all the bulb tips I see in Captivity, seem to be that way (some worse than others). I don't believe it to be related to lighting, as my anemone in particular, I've seen under VHO's, PC's, and my MH's and VHO's... and in everyone's tanks, it looks the same. Weird.... :?

- Mac

Yeah, I have a captive split rose bta that doesn't have bulb tips either, but otherwise looks very healthy. He is actually hot pink but was sold as a rose. I am not sure if that would still be considered a rose or not.

oh yeah, and FWIW he planted himself firmly to the rocks the second day I had him and in the four months that I have had him he has not moved an inch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: