polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Manhattan Reefs
I've been using 400W MH bulbs on my tank for many years, and am recently having a tough time buying new ones.
I use Radium 20K.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Manhattan Reefs
with the cost of bulbs and replacement frequency and heat, i would switch to led. the option to create sunrise to sunset effects as well as many color spectrum are worth the cost.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Manhattan Reefs
Supporter
I switched to LED's when the 150W Radium disappeared (they reappeared after some time under a different shape, but it became very hard to procure them).

If you look into what the AB+ program does for Radion's, it is something that actually reminds me of what I was getting with my Radium (aka not a blue aquarium, but plenty of it for fluorescence)

Josh

in the coral sea...
Manhattan Reefs
Real Reefer
Supporter
Aside from the power consumption issue, MH is problematic for people who live in apartments due to their heat. It basically forces you to get a chiller.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Manhattan Reefs
Supporter
Aside from the power consumption issue, MH is problematic for people who live in apartments due to their heat. It basically forces you to get a chiller.
And the chiller in turn heats up the place nicely. Maybe it would have been a good idea to keep tropical humid terrariums in the time where MH+chiller was the standard!

jbulks

Active Reefer
I started with MH and swtiched to LED. I like the control of LEDs, but MH def has a natural color and shimmer that cannot be replicated.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Manhattan Reefs
Heat is not an issue for me... The fish room where my tank and equipment are is closed off from the rest of the house and has direct controlled intake and exhaust to outside.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: