MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Hello fellow SPS addicts! I have a question about the much discussed sps color. In my experience, acros grow well in my system, the color is good but can't never seem to attain (with the exception of a couple of colonies)those deep, rich colors some of you guys have. I have also noticed the color on the actual polyps are close to white on some. For example, I have a "pink lemonade" frag that's encrusting/growing very well, but the polyps have gone to almost white when they're supposed to be more on the pink side. Same thing with a relatively large "shades of fall" LE colony with white polyps when in fact they are supposed to be pink.

I'm trying to determine if there is something missing in my system. My water parameters are as follows:

PH 8.10- 8.20
SG 1.026
MAG 1285
CA 430
Alk 9DKH
PO4 .03 (HANNA)

I have a 78gl system running 2 250w 20k MH + 4 VHOs. I have 4 small fish which I feed once a day and feed coral food about twice a week. I run carbon 24/7.
My own theory is that I may be running my tank too clean??... although there are a few spots where I have a type of grassy algae growing. I need help!!

FYI I have 7 yrs of experience with SPS but I have never been able to get deep colors :mad:

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
LOL I would like to know also!!! But Im am going to LED's as soon as wingo gets them built for me.... Right now Im haveing problems with cal cause I had to move some rocks with sps's on it to net a fish.. So I think that messed me up... so trying to get everything back before the lights come cause I know I am going to all some more sps's... I have a list already!!!LOL

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
This is for sure the million dollar question :lol2: I am sure that we're all in agreement here that we're all past stable water params and adequate lighting and flow?:rolleyes:

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
+1 Yes come on you guys!! Come out from wherever you are!!:Lurking:Some of us need some help.:happysad:I realize there is no one "magic"answer but at least give us some of your experiences and what has and hasn't worked for you to attain those beautiful, rich colors.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
food coloring? or photoshop works all the time.

j/k there is no magic but IMO stable water parameters and not all sps are meant to "pop" with color. if you purchased a frag of pink lemonade and it changes in your tank then i would investigate as to why.

Last edited:

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Ok thanks juiceguy. Yes I'm aware that not all corals are to be expected to gain brilliant color. I had just visited Vivid Aquariums in Cali. They have a stunning 8oo gal. SPS system. When looking at their acros, they looked like they had a thick, iridescent layer of zoothanthellae. In many, the layer at the base was sort of blue/green. When I look at my acros, the layer (skin) looks much thinner without much of the iridescence.
Generally speaking, when I purchase a colony/frag, overtime they tend to lose that iridescent, greenish base turning to a rather medium to pale brown no matter where they are located within the tank. The tips are the only part that I've been able to keep with intense color. With regards to my "pink lemonade" frag, it is growing and coloring pretty well but again the deep greenish base is gone and polyps (not body!) have turned almost white. Perhaps in this case I may need to allow this guy to grow and give it some time.

What's even more interesting is that I have been able to keep that deep, iridescent quality in just 2 of my acropora colonies.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the frags/colonies. with small shades of fall it didn't get the strong green and pink untill it was established its encrusting and growing up. Be patient with it give it time things will change if you keep the parameters perfict.

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Hi dcskater. Most are relatively small with the exception of a few. The "shades of fall" is about 7"h x 5" w. My only "complaint" with this particular piece is that its polyps are a very faint shade of pink... they almost look white. The base is brownish with purple edge and the rest looks good with the typical lime green branches and pink (light pink in my case)coralites.
Another example is of a fairly big colony of the Atlantis Mirabilis Acro. This piece is supposed to have red polyps with a greenish body and base. On my colony, the polyps are red/pink but the green of the body is nowhere to be found.

So again, for the most part my acros look healthy, but like most, I'm looking into ways I can improve my color if possible and determine if there is something "missing".

I have heard from some reefers, that the green base only comes with higher nutrient levels??

Incidentally, Vivid only runs MH on their tank and do not feed coral-specific foods of any kind.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before
DSC00207.jpg

after
DSC00982.jpg

A fellow reefer had the same setup as mine and when hes got bigger then mine it got that super dark green.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen dark green in a zeo tank with low nutrients : / its all about finding that sweet spot. if any of your friends has a hanna meter to check your phosphates id look into that. I wish i had better camera skills when people came and saw the coral in person they said it was the only one that have seen that looks like the real one from the exact picture of ATL.Do you run and phosphate removers i notice my corals improved when i started using phosban and other removers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry didnt realize you said your phos was .03. That is weird that your pink lemonade polpys are white through bad times and good times my pink lemonade never lost its red polpys. try feeding alittle bit more but dont over do it. Then again my pink lemonade grows so slow it must put all of its time in making its fluffy polpys look pink.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
its not just one thing that makes them color up. It is a combination of things done right over a long period of time that causes them to color up to what you want. this goes for any coral not just sps, but it seems to be more distinctive to sps for their somewhat delicate nature. Sps as we all know need high, turbulent flow; but not too direct. They need high lighting, propper water quality, and sometimes just need to get use to your tank, just because they are open and growing does not mean that they are 100% use to the tank, you will notice a huge difference once they are fully acclimated to the tank and its new enviornment. Sometimes when we work on our tanks we dont realize that us changing it constantly affects the corals within it because they can never get use to it if we keep changin things. Water changes are obvious and proper calcium levels (i try to keep mine closer to 600) as well as proper alk but both of those go under water quality. Plus feeding goes a long way, oyster feast from reef nutrition is good for sps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: