Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have picked up some more fish along with another power head.I now have 6 tunze 6105.
The fish I bought
4 x fire fish
1 x carpenter wrasse
1 x radiant wrasse
1 x cleaner wrasse
I will buy some plumbing supplies next week to start on my return lines and the drains,after that I can water proof the sump room.

Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have not been on for some time.Thanks for the compliments but my tank still needs work,a lot of it in order to be fit to view.It looks like crap for now.
You can get the reeftech lights from Rafal in New Jersey.The new models will look even nicer.They are the same lights but have a different body.They might also have a differant mix of led.Send me a pm or e mail and I will give you his info.I don't know if I can post that on this web site.I know on other forums you get into trouble for posting web site that are not on the sponsor list.

Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I am not finished yet.I plan to cover the stand in rock tiles.It will look much nicer.I was going to stain the wood (it's Russian birch) and it cost me $60 a sheet but I think the rock tile will look killer.Its not cheap it will cost me around $400 to do it but in the end it will look nice.

njreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent tank. Those reeftech modules go for $1k a piece I've seen. Not a bad price for the performance and since 1 module looks to be great for up to a 3ft span.

With all thats invested in the tank, I would spruce up the tank stand. Maybe it'll help appease the wife if it matched the furniture :)

robbous

REEFERROB
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very carefull if you plan on dealing with rafal and the reefteech lights I bought a pacific sun lamp from rafal and sent him the 1200.00 lamp to be repaired because of a bad controller board and he never sent my lamp back to me. It's been almost 4 months. Just search my name here on the boards and you will know what I am talking about. Look for my posts. I an writing this here because people need to be warned of this rafal guy who also is part of the reeftech group of people

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been on the forum for some time.I was going to start my filtration room but I never got around to it since I was waiting for a boost in salary (never got it) and then instead of a reward I got fired as a thank you for my hard work.Oh well that's life.

Ok my tank currently has HA and it looks like crap.I hooked up a skimmer to my tank but its a cheap marine source skimmer.Its an external model so it is sitting on top of my tank.I know it looks dumb but at least I am getting some skimmate from it.The skimmer is a 2 pump external cone.One of the pumps vibrates and is crazy loud while the other is fine.I might need to clean the pump although they are simple to take apart,I am not in the mood to do it I just deal with the noise and at the same time I doubt the pump is dirty.These pumps are just cheap.Marine source rates there pumps at 750 LPH but its more like 500 LPH and the ball (on the flow meter) jumps around and its not a consistent 500 LPH.I wrote Marine Source an e mail and there response was under laboratory conditions they where getting 750 LPH.This I find absurd.Come on its hooked up to my flow meter and the meter was level.I just find this to be an excuse.I should not expect much from a china manufacturer that is using a cheap aqua b knock off pump.I am getting some skimmate out of this skimmer but I know its not enough.

I will have to see about the filtration room.I know it should have been done a while back but with a baby and the wife complaining about expenses the filtration room has to wait a bit longer.I know it sucks.

I have not had any problems with Rafal from Reeftech.I know he left Pacific Sun a few years ago.I did warranty all the fixtures he sold.I know he is sometimes slow at doing things but in general he does pull through.I sent back my 2011 models and I will receive the new 2012 units.They have more colored led and you can use the I phone,I pad,mac computers,I pod touch and pc to program the lights.I was going to pic them up around the holidays but \i ended up not being able to travel to New York.I was not in a rush to get them since my tank currently looks like crap and there isn't many corals in it.

Last edited:

Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not advertising for anyone.Just responding to Roobus since I have not been on for sometime.I have not had any problems with reeftech nor do I advertise for them.Maybe you had a problem with the company so take it up with them not me.

Fewjativ

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do u like the reeftech led lights? Which do u think is better those or the ecotech radions? Anyone else on this thread wanna chime in on the pros n cons of both would be great as well.... N by the way the tank is CRAZY!!!! Nice setup

Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ran the lights for a short time and took par readings.I bought 4 units but played around with one unit (on my tank) for the most part.I was going to get my welder to build me a light rack.It was more like an arm that would hold 2 fixtures.I wanted him to build me two of them.I would bolt them on to the back of my stand and have them adjustable.The problem was the guy never came back to my house to finish a job,in fact he was paid in full.Now that is warmer I will call him to do the job and build me a rack for the fixtures.
I played around with the unit and liked the features.When I heard they where bringing out a anew model I asked if I could trade mine in for the 2012 units.I sent mine back and I was going to pick up the units direct from Rafal in order to save on shipping.My daughter got sick so I never went to get them and I was busy with work so I didn't have the time.I do plan to pick them up in the next few weeks.Build quality is very nice (2011 model).The light spread is awesome.Its very wide I was getting 120 par at the bottom of my tank at a 36 inch spread with the par in the middle being at 220 to 260 at the bottom.The sunrise and sunset looks great.You can play around with the time it takes to complete these effects.I know they added more colors to the new model and you can add more led panels if you get the larger models.I stayed with 4 Prometheus units because I have 4 openings on my tank.The new software is more simple to use from the pics that I did see plus the new fixtures work with I pod touch and I phone so this is interesting.

I did see the Radions here locally.My LFS guy only brought in 1 unit and he doesn't like the unit at all so he doesn't push them.He is also not a big fan of the vortech pumps.He has had to many problem with them and he tells clients not to buy them.In general he is not a big fan of ecotec.I did see the radion in person and although it looks cool I found it wasn't worth the money they are asking.I am not going to bash the product but I just found that hey where very thin and small.Yes people like this but for me the unit is made of of acrylic or plastic.The fan is in the middle and it draws air outwards.I wonder how long the lights can run without the fan.The heat sink is inside the unit.For me they just look cheap in comparison to the reeftech.The radions are made in china.I don't know who makes them for ecotech but I wonder what the actual cost is to make them.They basically have two pucks of led with a fan in the middle built into a acrylic mold that has vents on the side.I know they are bright and they work well but for me I was not impressed with the build quality.I think Reeftech has more to offer as far as what you can control the lights with.I have only seen the dimming effects of the radion on youtube.I have some friends online that have the units and they are very happy with them.I guess because Reeftech doesn't have the big bucks to advertise and the brand name like ecotech has so its harder to compete.

Steve canada

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lets see the last thing I wanted was to have a $1500 light fixture get knocked into the tank.
I already had
1 ph monitor that was glued yet somehow fell into my sump (bad luck)
1 aquarium controller got knocked over hit the acrylic cover on my sump bounced over and fell into a small open area ($200 down the drain)
2 ehiem feeders knocked over and fell into a 3 inch by 3 inch feeding port that's on my current tank.

So when it comes to 4 light fixtures they are not going on this tank unless they are secured.I have had bad luck with stupid things.Water and electronics just don't mix.I am also trying to find another welder since I don't know how to weld.I don't have the room to go with a light rack.There is a staircase on the left side of the room.I also don't have an endless pocket so I am stuck having to wait to do things.Wish I had deep pockets like some others.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: