Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I read the article on the main page today

Why not using filter medias for bacteria fixation?

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/09/24/why-not-using-filter-medias-for-bacteria-fixation/

and at the end of that article there was a beautiful tank, with very little live rock. I thought it looked really nice, so my question is, if I set up a 29gal biocube tank, with only a few lb of live rock in the main display tank, and put about 30-40lb of rock in the sump, without any light, would the bacteria in the live rock still thrive?

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I read the article on the main page today

Why not using filter medias for bacteria fixation?

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/09/24/why-not-using-filter-medias-for-bacteria-fixation/

and at the end of that article there was a beautiful tank, with very little live rock. I thought it looked really nice, so my question is, if I set up a 29gal biocube tank, with only a few lb of live rock in the main display tank, and put about 30-40lb of rock in the sump, without any light, would the bacteria in the live rock still thrive?

Where would the fish hide? What about colonizing beneficial little critters like pods or certain snails like stomponellas (might have misspelled their name)?

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
The design would be a small island in the middle of the tank. I would attach some sps on the island and maybe have some zoos patches in the sand, which would purposely leave more room for the fish to swim, I wouldn't get fish that would want to hide. Regarding the beneficial critter, that is actually my question, would they survive with very little or no light if I put all the LR in the sump. Maybe copepods wouldn't survive, because I believe they need light in order to survive, but the nitrifying bacteria should survive, I don't think those are photosynthetic.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It would work just fine. Just make sure your all or your livestock have places to hide.

Small tanks with little rock can make any species dominant. It can be tough.

My current tank is small and my livestock are proving to be a big problem. Everything fights because of the lack of place to call home

My cleaners mean, my clowns mean, my gobies are mean...

I personally love the idea of little rock and big grown out colonies. Just add livestock accordingly and have the tank covered

Pods and beneficial bacteria will colonize without light.

But why not run a sump light with some macro?

My sump = pc light - and around 30lbs of liverock with Xenia/cloves/pipe organ everywhere. I run the lights 6hr a day

Last edited:

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Yes my biocube is drilled. That would be a good idea, to alternate the light, just so that the PH doesn't drop at night. Again I am not doing it quite yet, but now I am starting to think about. You see I would want the corals to be the main focus, and not the fish. I think it would work better on a rectangular tank, then a square tank. Johnny J even the clown fish got aggressive? I have one clown fish, he could care less about the live rocks or hiding spots, he always swims in the open. Anybody knows a small algae grazer fish that would fit a 29gal biocube? Now I am starting to think that my choice of fish might be limited because there would be no hiding spots. I could probably put a 1"pvc tubing and build a burrow for a watchman goby and cover it with sand, so that would take care of that little fella.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: